SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
namarie

Two toned contemporary kitchen- design help needed

namarie
8 years ago

You guys have already been a great help to me and now I have another question. My husband and I are building a contemporary three story row house in the city we live in. I am trying to design it to be a bit more industrial modern than just modern just because it seems more comfortable and fitting for us. The kitchen is small. It is basically one row of cabinets against the back wall with tall cabinets framing it (total about 15 ft) and a 9 foot island in front of it. I know I want some combination of black and white and was planning a back wall of white cabinets and a black island. We haven't picked out counters yet but are leaning toward black leathered granite. The doors are shaker and there are aluminum framed stacked flip-up cabinets on top of the back wall cabinets. I'm concerned that this is going to look too traditional for our house and was considering black lowers and white uppers with the two tall cabinets on each end also being white. Would this be "too much" in such a small area? The black lowers against the back would just end up being about 40 inches on either side of a stainless slide-in stove. Also, fyi, I plan to do a long marble subway backsplash and long stainless pulls on the drawers and doors, with exposed Edison lights as pendants over the island. Thanks for any advice or thoughts you may have!

Comments (17)