SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Relationships affected by remodeling

beachem
8 years ago

I've found that remodeling is not only hell on your health and state of mind but also your relationships.

One of my clients almost got divorced when they went through a 2 years remodeling project due to the stress and differing opinions. I didn't understand why then. I do now.

I'm not only feeling quite burned out but find that my opinions of some family members have deteriorated drastically as our kitchen/downstairs repair is approaching the 8th month.

I've had to deal with nonstop complaining and critique as our repair got stretched due to extra requirements by the city inspector. Everyone compared our progress with our next door neighbor unfairly. He's doing it without any permits and licenses while throwing an unlimited amount of money at the remodeling. I'm on a budget that has already blew out to double the allotted out of pocket of $25K. I was also juggling the construction work during medical treatments, intense surgery and a required 4 mos bed rest (which I have not done).

Our construction has come to another halt as I spent the last 3 weeks almost 24/7 in the hospital to care for my mom on an unexpected illness. At best, I have 15 minutes clear at a time during the day and the only free time is between 3AM and 5AM.

In the meantime, some of my siblings are making snarky remarks and complaints about the house not being finished yet and others like my husband are reacting to the long project by stressing out dramatically over tiny little things like my arranging movers for my office with only giving him a 2 week notice and no daily reminders.

I'm almost to the point of being rude by telling some family to stop talking to me unless they have something positive to say but it will cause drama and stress out my parents more. I've already told them to stop complaining unless they want to put money into the project especially since some don't live there and not one person have raised a finger to help.

My sister popped by to visit my mom for an hour and spent the entire time complaining that I hadn't finished her closet yet and it didn't look like the Houzz picture that I showed her. She wanted the doors changed and didn't like the white color even though the Houzz closet she liked was white and the doors were the exact same doors.

She completely ignored the fact that I've been in the hospital nonstop and couldn't install or paint her doors/molding until I'm free and after I've finished sealing and grouting the downstairs flooring. Her expectations was to have me pay the contractors to finish her closet as a priority over the kitchen and bathroom.

The stress and delays of the remodeling has caused everyone to become inflexible and brought out their worst traits. I've seen some obnoxious behaviors which I've never seen before as well as an intensity of emotions. I know that I've become more irritable and more likely to lose my temper. I didn't curse but have found my language to become more salty recently when bad things happen.

Are y'all experiencing the same things as your project stretch out?

My hat is off to those who are juggling the remodeling as DIY while working full time. I'm only doing some DIY and it's incredibly difficult to juggle time/health/priority.

Comments (27)