SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saki7a

How badly did I bungle the pruning of my new dawn rose?

saki7a
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I got a new dawn rose in a 3-gal pot from the local nursery this May (2015). A neighbor told me that I needed to prune back all of the canes after planting it in order to encourage root growth. There were about 5 or 6 canes about 2-3cm in diameter on it and I pruned them all back to about 6". Since then, the plant has sent out side shoots from these canes that are growing quite vigorously (about 5' long so far), although they are only about 1 cm in diameter.

In the attached photo, I have circled where I pruned a main cane and where a side cane is growing out of it. You can see that the new shoots are much thinner than the original cane.

HOWEVER, I read online recently that it is actually better not to prune the main canes, especially on a young plant, because the flowering shoots grow off of these main canes and they need to grow very long (10–15').

I am not sure what, if anything, I can or should do about my mistake. Will the plant put out new main canes? Will the side shoots (the ones that are about 5' long now) that are growing out of the stumps of the main canes become new main canes next year? Do I prune back the long side shoots when the plant goes dormant?

This is my first rose and I am new to gardening generally, so any and all advice is welcome!

Thank you.

Comments (18)