SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenlaker7

Estimating time for wallpaper strip, plaster repair and paint

greenlaker7
8 years ago

We are about to close on our first house, and we'd like to redo the 3 upstairs bedrooms before we move our kids in. House is from 1904. There is painted over wallpaper everywhere, two rooms are 13x13 and one 11x11, with a hallway of 11x4. Painted over wallpaper on plaster is everywhere. It's very thick and looks bad. Even the ceilings may have this- they certainly have at least a ton of paint over cracks. I'd like to strip the paint off the moldings too- will probably buy a convection heat stripper to do so.

We'd like to try to do this ourselves as we want to move in as soon as we can and pros are booked months out. I have painted before, but not removed wallpaper or repaired plaster. I am pretty handy and am not afraid, and we have money for the right tools and materials.

What we are short on is time. I have a day job, and we have a newborn. My MIL is here to watch the baby, but I will probably be doing most of the work at night and on weekends. We also have to pack up of course.

My wife thinks we can do this in 15 days. I am thinking more like 30 if we are lucky. We currently rent and want to give our landlord a heads up on the move out date. Closing is 15th, I say no way we are ready to move into the new home without paint fumes by the 31st. I can probably spare a couple days off work, but not too many as i just got back from paternity leave.

Am I being too pessimistic? I work hard and am handy, but I don't see us finishing this in 14 days or less. My big fear is the time for plaster repair. If it was just strip and paint I may be able to get it done if everything goes smooth.

Thanks.

Comments (5)