SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rayrae_gw

Wallpaper covering bad plaster

RayRae
10 years ago

Hello All!

I've searched the internet to no avail so I'm hoping someone on this forum will know what to do!!

I recently bought a very old house (1889) that has an apartment attached to it. The apartment has been long neglected and we are in the process of renovating (and trying to keep the cost down by DIY). It appears that the previous owners, at some point, tried to fix the problem of plaster cracks by using wallpaper to cover it up. It looks like maybe it's a special wallpaper for just such a thing? I say that b/c it has no pattern to speak of, just plain paper that has been painted over. To top it off, the paper is peeling, you can see unsightly seams, and you can still see all the cracks underneath! In fact, in some places, the cracks have even torn the paper. I would like to fix the plaster, but I'm unsure if I need to take all the wallpaper off first?? While I don't like the paper, I'm worried that if I start tearing it off, the plaster is going to come with it. I DO NOT want to use drywall in the house if I can manage it, but I also have no experience with fixing plaster walls. Does anyone have any experience with this type of wallpaper? Should I just risk it and tear the paper off and hope for the best?

Comments (14)