SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee_hollenbeck

Novice needs advice - Best Dense Foliage, Long season (5b)

leeaway z5b IL
8 years ago

I love looking at all these beautiful pictures. Thank you everyone for posting and commenting on them.

Please give advice to this newbie to Daylilies.

Please, what are your favorite varieties suitable for a zone 5b midwest garden, with all-around good performance, long bloom season, low maintenance, and nice foilage when not in bloom? Especially looking for experience with varieties which have been in their location 5+ years.

Also, should I try for having all dormant varieties?

Actually I am not a complete newbie and am spoiled by my ditch lilies, which have not been disturbed for years. Most falls I mow them and remove the leaves. I do nothing else to them, except a little Round-Up when they start getting too near to smothering the lilacs. They are very reliable and crowd out all the weeds. When in bloom, the orange mass of blooms is very showy.

However, with seeing all of these beautiful pictures, I am itching for some variety of color and height.

I have a space limitation for maybe 7 medium through tall and 9 medium through short daylilies. I do not think I have ever seen an ugly daylily (although I am experiencing some Stella d'Oro fatigue,) so perhaps I should concentrate on varieties with a long bloom period, good foilage throughout growing season, and very little maintenance? I wish I had more time to work in the garden, but must be realistic.

Thank you very much for any advice and all these beautiful photo posts.

Lee

Comments (6)