SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

How many bushes for continuous availability of bloom all season-long?

I started out with roses two years ago because I absolutely love them as cut flowers indoors. Of course, I love them outside too but I would lie if I said I am crazy about their foliage or overall look of the plant. Unless the rose bushes are in a same-color hedge and always covered in blooms, I don't think they make the greatest landscaping plants.

Considering that no matter how floriferous any particular variety might be, roses need rest after a flush of blooms - I wonder how many rose bushes are necessary at a minimum for a continuous availability of blooms throughout the season? By 'continuous availability' I mean enough abundance that there are always enough blooms outside so a few can be cut for an indoor bouquet?

With my Spring 2020 additions, I now have 5 roses:

- Good as Gold (3rd year)

- Dick Clark (3rd year)

- Julia Child (1st year)

- Belinda's Dream (1st year)

- Rosie the Riveter - (1 st year this one is potted).

Assuming all goes well and these roses do fine enough this summer, should I expect to have some blooms at all times during the season or will there be breaks when no blooms are available?

I wonder if 5 rose bushes can supply enough for outdoor bloom and some cut bloom?

I try to remind myself that I can only expect so much from rose bushes in their first year. I am now holding my breath for the 3rd year ones but these two took a terrible beating last summer as we were out of the country for almost three months.

Comments (35)