SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jocoyn

Help with "is it powdery mildew"? Seems a bit different.

jocoyn
8 years ago

This happened to my peppers and tomatoes AFTER a 10% milk spray [as a preventive gaaah] . Since then they have been treated with (with time in between). NEEM, 100% milk, Potassium Bicarb, Horsetail Tea, Serenade, and even Listerine...I have treated the soil with Actinovate Nothing has really had an impact for more than a few hours. I have treated powdery mildew on butternut squash before and it was much more manageable compared to this.

This is a white powder on the TOP of the leaves only and coating the stem. Older leaves impacted. There is no yellowing. The powder is uniformly distributed. There is nothing on the underneath of the leaf then a wet rot sort of sets in starting from the leaf tip.

The peppers are coming out because I can clean it off the stems and it is back a few hours later. Never seen anything like this. After pulling every infected leaf/stem and cleaning everything off I put pine needles over the soil. The tomatoes I thinned out greatly and am hoping I have enough top growth to support the developing fruit.

Losing the plants is not so big but I want to be able to use the soil next year and not sure what I would need to do to prepare it. This did occur after a week of heat stress (high 90s) when we are used to high 80s.

Would greatly appreciate any insights.

Comments (9)