SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckoeppel

Which rug works best?

Cindy Koeppel
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am working on my master bedroom. Attached is a photo of our bedding. I intend to put wall covering behind the bed (see sample in photo). Which rug works best with what I have going the ivory or charcoal? Of course, these are only samples. I intend to get a 8'6" x 12 foot rug to put under the bed.

I currently have charcoal drapes. I was also considering putting two of the attached ottomans at the foot of the bed to add texture to all the grey going on in the room. And I was also considering the champagne bench. Which would work better with my decor?

Comments (633)

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, I love it, too. It really decompresses my anxiety when I go in there. I have found myself spending more time in the room just because of that. Tom even loves it. When he has friends stop by he always has to show them.

We have so much going on it is crazy. Redecorating this room has really helped keep my mind off things. First my surgery, then our tenants broke the lease in our rental at home doing damage prior to leaving, our bank made a mistake on our escrow for our house in WA so our mortgage payment went up and our property taxes increased another $2000 this year (last year $1200), my job is being eliminated this year, our mortgage payment went up on the Illinois home and we lost a personal exemption on our property taxes forcing our taxes to go up to $10,800, I am having an endoscopy done tomorrow searching for more masses/ulcers, our youngest daughter moved out of Seattle into a house with a co-worker (a much older, male co-worker - need I say more), and my oldest daughter is stressed to the max working the full-time night shift in trauma ICU at Harborview while going to school full-time to get her Ph.D. (I just worry about her doing too much and getting depressed), and my parents' (in Illinois) health is failing.

I seriously need a break! The room has been a blessing in more ways than one. And our friendship! :)

• btydrvn
    8 years ago
    So glad you find solace in your wonderful room...sometimes I feel I am seeking too much perfection but I too get so much peace from my surroundings...my gardens ..my home..with Mother Nature surrounding us ....it feeds my soul...it is the one place where I feel completely relaxed...and safe...you are definitely in the midst of a lot of unsettling pressure...but I have the feeling that you can deal with each problem...one at a time..the outcome may be the realization that it may be time to re- organize and simplify...so many of us lose sight of how little we really need to be happy..and even forget to think about what really makes us happy...i think you are really a happy person ..you just need to get back in touch with that..I believe in you
  • Related Discussions

Which combo do you think works best if any?

Q

Comments (17)
    ok.. lazygardens.. you figured me out.. LOL.. With all the chaos in my life perhaps I am ultimately seeking that California Zen vibe.. maybe the DR is just not the right place. And the rest of my house has the earthy tones NE feel (considering I live in NE not that far off I suppose). I am going to find another home for the tray- put the other candles back in their previous location and look for other options. I would like to keep the runner for a variety of reasons so will start over from there!! Thanks for all suggestions.. @ roarah- the color is BM mayflower red. I had it my last two homes and when we moved into this one I had to have it. It is really warm- the rug below the dining table basically was the inspiration for all the colors in my home.. They are what I am most comfortable with..
    ...See More

Which floral pillow work best?

Q

Comments (208)
    Thanks, Porter! Definitely appreciate all your help and NOT trying to ignore your suggestions, promise! I feel like the fur pillow is just not really my style. And I love the darker teal colored pillows but feel they look too dark when in I put them in the room. Wish I could have you come see the room in person! I sometimes feel like the photos don't reflect accurately. :/ i definitely agree that I need a lumbar or two in the mix in a neutral color, just need to find the perfect one in the perfect color! I promise once I do I will take the geometric print pillow off the couch! I just feel like it needs more than a couple pillows since it's so big! (Also had a thought... that floral pattern pillow I have comes in a lumbar - possibility?) ok so earlier today I bought a third blue pillow and cream/tan throw blanket at C&B, and I bought an off white throw blanket at Pier 1. Looking at the throw only (since the pillows are still a work on progress), which do you like better? here's the C&B throw... its cream with tan along the edges and tassels on the ends. Super soft... And here's the Pier 1 throw... I'd say this is more of an off white/oatmeal, not as much cream... it also has tassels on the end... Thoughts? And are the three blue pillows too much blue?
    ...See More

Which wall colour works best with medium wood?

Q

Comments (1)
    The room needs much more than paint, as I am sure you are aware. Using B.M. paint: for three walls, in eggshell and all the trim in semi-gloss. For the accent wall behind the bed: Wayfair
    ...See More

Help selecting a Ruggable for my spare room.

Q

Comments (18)
    Here's a ruggable rug: https://ruggable.com/products/kamran-ivory-opal-rug?size=6x9 Not ruggable but washable: https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-chicory-easy-jute-washable-arrow/Natural/200BIWL06A-P.html
    ...See More
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you! You are the BEST!
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    You are welcome
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What do you think about the throw pillow on the bed with the others? I kind of think it looks disjointed on the chair. I could get a throw in a similar cognac/red color and put it on the bench. I am just keeping in mind the colors in the artwork we selected. What do you think?
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    I really like the chair with only the furry pillow...and if I changed any thing on the bed I would also put only a few big square pillows there...no small ones...for comfort and convenience as well as for drama...I like the new trend of big pillows instead of small every where...kind of glamorous
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Also the perfect red accent will come to you as things progress...how about one of those cool tiny red coffee makers or a fresh red rose on the coffee tray or bedside?...something a little fleeting..time to inject a little romance ...
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Guess in my mind the red accent should be small ...like in the art..
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Love your ideas!
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here are a few I have seen and considered. Three of them are 22" and one is 24".
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    And a solid tone on tone charcoal one.
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Like the first one since it is one color and will blend in with the headboard while contrasting only with the sheen..would like it even more with some trim..a soft fluffy fringe ...or border trim ..or some border detail that softens the edges a little...they look a little crisp for the bed ..maybe even a nubbier fabric with some texture .... Seeking the kind of " I must touch you" feel...try the chair pillow..really have been thinking all along that would be perfect..but it is perfect in the chair too...hmmmm,
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am obsessed with the furry pillow. It is even more gorgeous in person. They have it in a sand color too. Do I only need one larger pillow in place of the three smaller pillows?
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have two pillows just like this one in tan and brown and they are pretty. The fringe is confetti style with a bit of sparkle. The pillow pictured is ivory.
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Two bed pillows in shams ...3 large pillows...maybe one sand fur...two fabric...fabric ones can just have added tassels on corners
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Your fringe pillows could be perfect if you like the color
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So what do you think about these two pillows together? Both are 20" square.

• btydrvn
    8 years ago
    These look pretty good..hard to be sure from photos about color..also how they look on bedspread...think it could be perfect...did the darker ones not look good?
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I never tried the darker ones because I like all of them. I am going out tomorrow...first time driving...and will take a look at them. I added them to my rough photoshop we used while putting the room together.

Our tenants FINALLY moved out and we had a realtor in today to take a look at the house. Can't wait to get that sucker sold! I attached a pic of it so you could see what we are giving up.

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So I bought the fringe pillow today to see how it looks with the bedding. The color looks good but the daylight might change my opinion. The other furry pillow I have to order. It is $89.99 regularly on sale for $19.99 clearance. The color is described as beige which I think might pick up the beige/gold tones in the bedspread.

I will try to post a pic tomorrow. My niece is coming up from Portland to stay the weekend with us before she graduates. I probably won't be online much if at all.

Have a good weekend!

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Do you think these accessories are too vibrant for room?
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Yes
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    We have only sporadic wi-fi for several days...til Monday...
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here is a pic of the fringe pillow with the furry pillow from the chair. The furry pillow I ordered is more beige. I think the color is spot on and I really like the more relaxed look.
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    So sorry haven't been with you more...storms..weather ...even tornados down here..has played havoc with our ...at best minimal... wi-fi down here..being right on the coast is erratic service as well.....I see it like this...someone up there is telling me to cut back on the cultural addiction to the Internet! But things seem to be moving on nicely for you and I am happy for that...
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have friends that live in Florida and all of them say the same thing! Sorry the weather hasn't cooperated. Being addicted to the Internet truly can be a problem. My modem had to be replaced and the new one was acting up. I had to return it and was without access to the Internet for two days. I thought I was going stir crazy. Thank goodness for our smart phones!

• btydrvn
    8 years ago
    We do get our messages from above..I guess..we even added a hot spot to my I-phone...that is just as bad..and I am so not good on the tiny keyboard on the phone..I am a huge fan of all things sci-fi ..predicting this reliance on tech ....it is not just addictive but so helpful with all parts of our lifestyle...can't wait for the "food replicator" so I never have to cook again!
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You and me both! Hahaha!

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I received the beige furry pillow. What do you think? it is a lighter shade than the one on the chair. I don't think the new one is the quality the chair pillow is but I love the color and it actually looks nice with the chair too. Do I need to be concerned with them matching?

1) New pillow on bed.

2) Old pillow on chair

3) New pillow on chair
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I also love this throw but I am not certain is something that is necessary in the room. I am not sure where I would put it even.

• btydrvn
    8 years ago
    The pillows seem interchangeable to me,too..can be used in either place ...also I believe the dyed fur pillows have a softer..silkier feel and a little more sheen from the dye process...am thinking you have arrived at the "nuance" level in your room...there are so many wonderful elements that you are correct to think the throw is not necessary.......one other thing you could try with your pillows..remove the three behind the shams... Use two of them on the sides and the furry one in the middle...on top of the shams...this will allow a nicer peek at the headboard and put the furry one in the spotlight...this was my feeling for tucking in the bed spread as well ...to reveal the beautiful tailored details of the bed at the bottom as well.....
    We are enjoying a few nice days of weather here ..we're out all day...stuffing ourselves on crab cakes and exploring...had visitors from out of town...today I am considering not even getting out of bed!
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I still have my original print. I set it on top of the dresser to see how it looks. while I love the white face lady print....it is uber expensive. I also have similar colors running through the attached master bath. What do you think?
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Just took a little stroll down memory lane(looking for your old art posts) and boy have you come a long way! The area where the art goes is and important because it is such a focal point surrounded with really special pieces...this is why I think a smaller art piece is best...off centered above the chest to not overpower it..but a really impressive piece since it is so visible from the bed....The lady was perfect because of the unexpected frame/picture ratio and the stare and shot of red...think this spot really would benefit from that kind of impact..shame about the lady but it has been an arduous and expensive trip...and art is the toughest thing to get right...waiting to find the piece that speaks to you is worth it..rest on your laurels for a moment and pat yourself on the back for a great job thus far...if the empty spot makes you nervous get hubby to get a big pot of fresh flowers for you every once in a while
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am not ruling the lady out just yet. Our rental house is holding me back. Once that monkey on our backs sells, I will revisit ordering it. Thank you for your compliments. YOU were why it turned out so lovely. I heard cooler weather is heading your way if it isn't there yet.

• btydrvn
    8 years ago
    This has certainly been an unusual winter weather wise..got news from our neighbors that our gardens look beautiful with all the rain they are getting...this year the effort required to get away was more apparent..the trip...the packing..feathering the nest when we finally get here...Palm Springs is looking pretty good for next year...following the political race more closely has been one side effect of being more housebound...interesting.....the wi- fi challenge sort of fogged over the exchange about that amazing home you are now turning into a financial blessing...wow...did you ever need such a huge home!...but what a spot! Ever since we moved to the mountains my thrust has been toward downsizing...and I can attest to the lessened pressure of not having too much to care for and worry about...hope it turns into your salvation as well...it's nice to have a kindred spirit who understands and shares the need for perfection and comfort and beauty in the home..glad we can share this...
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am grateful we have met! Just ran into a ton of expensive issues with our house in Illinois as a result of tenant negligence. Ugh!

So I bought this gold wood carved leaf and intend to spread the red and amber rocks on top. I am hoping to put it on top of the dresser. I thought the combination of gold, red, and amber would be subtle enough for addition of color.
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    I like it...how big is it?...can you pair it with something tall ?would like it better with something real in it...a couple chunky bracelets?....cuff Links?....hubby's wallet and pocket stuff?...also just thought of that big mirror you got the deal on...would that work as a temporary piece there? ...just leaned against the wall on top the chest...on the other note...I sort of feel like this trip is a little cursed like your house...all the news down here is about the Zika virus ,from mosquitos, and we can't go outside without getting bit!..Mitchell is a bugaphobe and I can't get him to go outside except for golf, of course....had a really nice day today, too
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That virus is very scary. I am very worried about my daughter who is a trauma nurse getting exposed at the hospital. They can't turn anyone away because of no insurance and she treats a lot of homeless. Who knows what they have been around! Your husband sounds like mine...tee hee... you just have to love their quirkiness!
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I thought about getting a couple of those decorative balls to put on it.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Similar to these
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    You know me.. I kinda don't like superfluous decor stuff..if it's there for a reason I am happier
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What do you think of this new art from Uttwrmost?

Here is the description:

Design by Grace Feyock. Frame has real birch bark peeling up on it, real twigs line the outer and inner edges. Medium brown finish on base of frame with a heavy pale gray glaze. Made from MDF. Made in China. 36.13 in. W x 2.38 in. D x 36.13 in. H (31 lbs.). Uttermost's art combines premium quality materials with unique high-style design.
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Maybe a little too rustic...manly?
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    7 years ago

I like the long gray tufted bench and the white shag rug

• User
    7 years ago
    Old post.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ritasj, I wasn't sure how to get in touch with you other than this way. I wanted to let you know I didn't fall off the face of the earth. We have been through a tremendous amount of stress and we recently lost our baby, Ruby, on August 10th. Seriously one of the worst days of my life. I am struggling big time with grief and haven't really been up for much of anything. I hope all is well with you!

Cindy
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Cindy ..I have thought so often of trying to communicate with you..somehow knowing that you had some challenges to survive....hoping your natural good spirit would get you through...am so sorry to hear about Ruby...I can imagine how hard this is to endure...We, too seem to have had a stretch of challenges...It seems like the stars are not aligned for anyone this last year or so...just when you see some light on the horizon..another storm appears..we just recently had another fire scare and it hit me like a thump in the chest...when I saw the smoke and smelled the fire I realized that I had PTSD...It took 3 days to get a grip on it...thank heavens we both have many things to be thankful for...
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Is there any secure way we can exchange e-mails?
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I am not sure about how we can share emails. I am uncomfortable doing it on here. Let me investigate. I am glad you are okay. I have thought of you, too, but our challenges preoccupied my every free moment and I fell out of touch. I am sorry for that. I will get back to you about the email.
  • PRO
    Furnishr
    7 years ago

Honestly, you might need to remove a lot to make your bedroom look more modern. First, I'd remove the tiny rug mats because it throws off the look of your room. Also, instead of having the triangular mirrors, try sticking with a large rectangular mirror on top of the bed. Lastly, I would hold off on the idea of buying a bench for you room. These few tips can make a huge difference.