SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlynn1187

Which floral pillow work best?

jlynn1187
6 years ago

Looking to switch up some of our living room pillows. The two on the far left are our current pillows (the white and gray larger print one matches an armchair and ottoman we have on the opposite side of the room). I would like to switch out all of our pillows eventually or at least replace the flattened inserts with down inserts for better shape. Which floral pillow do you like best with these other patterns?

The couch is gray, walls are tan. Accents in the room are mostly light blue/Aqua and green.

Thanks in advance!

This pic shows the pillows a little better...

Comments (208)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Agree with her on the Mongolian... however you didn't respond to that a long time ago so thought that was a NO... :)

I like the pillow... I'd like to see them switched just to see for a change of perspective.

Also, as I mentioned prior, I'd put one back on the chair that matches the chair and put a cream Mongolian or light teal/sea foam Mongolian with it if you don't want it on the couch. ;)

• ctlane
    6 years ago

Just wanted to say I am thoroughly enjoying this post, the advice given by Porter Edun, and the patience and speed of Jlynn.

• Related Discussions

Which combo do you think works best if any?

Q

Comments (17)
    ok.. lazygardens.. you figured me out.. LOL.. With all the chaos in my life perhaps I am ultimately seeking that California Zen vibe.. maybe the DR is just not the right place. And the rest of my house has the earthy tones NE feel (considering I live in NE not that far off I suppose). I am going to find another home for the tray- put the other candles back in their previous location and look for other options. I would like to keep the runner for a variety of reasons so will start over from there!! Thanks for all suggestions.. @ roarah- the color is BM mayflower red. I had it my last two homes and when we moved into this one I had to have it. It is really warm- the rug below the dining table basically was the inspiration for all the colors in my home.. They are what I am most comfortable with..
    ...See More

Which color works best for my new slipcover with this room?

Q

Comments (34)
    Thought I'd share the result! I reused the pillows from when the slipcover was red, and just picked up the throw today. My husband requested fewer pillows, so I moved one small one to a chair in the corner of the room . I need a lamp and the room needs something else, although I'm not sure what. We are in a freeze for a while so I'll come back to this later. It is just a guest room.
    ...See More

which picture looks best above the sectional

Q

Comments (2761)
    @Janice Maxwell, please don't paint your front door brown. The red is so wonderful on your house. As far as hardware on the house and shed, go with whatever color you like the best. For myself, I prefer the Satin Nickle, but that is me. If you prefer the Venetian Bronze, keep that.
    ...See More

Do these pillow combinations work?

Q

Comments (6)
    Floral patterns are very strong, but will not overpower a sofa that is plain. In fact it provides additional texture and variety so that things do not look flat. However, too much floral and/or too many patterns if not carefully curated can go awry very quickly. You have a beautiful painting above the white sofa of yours. Take that painting with you or a picture of it and find pillows that are one colour with or without texture and represent two-three colours from this painting. One more thing, the two print pillows on the white couch are far enough apart that they do not compete with each other and I would add an additional two on the inside of them that were monochromatic (with or without texture). The linen coloured loveseat needs either one monochromatic cushion (with or without texture) for a total of three and perhaps have it be a little smaller than the floral ones currently on there for added dimension (won't feel too crowded). One last thing, you mentioned a coastal blue theme, your painting would pop even more if your gold frames were painted white! The white frames would also soften the room! Best of luck. My two cents!
    ...See More
  • jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hah, thanks, ctlane! I would say Porter also has a great deal of patience with ME and my crazy pregnancy nesting self lol!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

:( I thought I was patient.....

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I also like the Michaela Azure.... just depends if you want more subtle or more serene... I like the texture of it as well... it doesn't look inexpensive either....

Ok, well soon to make dinner as I'm East Coast time and you have some great option from your stop at the store today. You can't go wrong with them which ever you choose... you never do say, "I prefer this". Which do you prefer?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

The pillow I always post is the reverse of the pillow you have :) I think the photo is the opposite side that I have the photo of so I pick colors from that side that work best. On the opposite side there are a lot more saturated colors I believe?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Is this what you had in mind? Reversing the two back pillows?

Youre right- I prefer the side with more of the design on it. Shows off the blue a bit more.

As far as what I prefer, I am always drawn to aquas (hence my whole room and lots of the rest of the house has aqua) but I like the way this pillow picks up he medium blue in the floral and think it's very pretty. Just want to make sure it goes with the rest of the room. I could really go either way.. the azure which has a little more green in it or the blue. I just need to see it in the room! Wonder if that means another stop at C&B is in my future tomorrow lol...

If I do go with the azure, thoughts on mixing it with the aqua pillow I posted above? Maybe two aqua, one in each corner of the couch, and the azure in the center. Not sure about on the chair... that's always tricky with the aqua curtain behind it, don't want to have too much blue going on.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's a couple other shots of the room from different angles...might make it easier to see if the pillow works

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And here without the geometric pillow

geometric moved back to chair...

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Your last picture with the blue and patterned pillow looks great. Three pillows seemed like too much. You might still try putting a different pillow on the chair.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid! Guess I'm at a loss for what to put on the chair. Thinking it would be nice to incorporate the geometric print somewhere on the couch -- center maybe?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's me trying out a couple variations on the couch...

I feel like the geometric pillow looks lonely by itself lol

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Yes, the last photo is too lonely :)

I know you want the blue in the middle so it works... yet, always different at times when you take a photo of something and look at it vs. looking at it in person.

I think instead of driving yourself nuts... it's a 50/50. You've had pillow almost the exact color of the Azure in velvet and you've leaned more toward the lighter now so you might stick with that?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

To me, with the three pillows: the blue against the floral with the blues and greens sit together and then with the geometric in the center it takes the floral with the blues/greens and pulls it more toward the blue that is further away rather than the geometric kind of sitting there on it's own saying, "why am I here"? :)

Oh, geez... I know these pillow things can go on for ages... yet, that's my, thought LOLLLLLLL

Just give it a stare for a bit :)... too funny

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Well, my husband is just home from Japan... I have to make dinner before he falls over and I'm out and about all day tomorrow. I think you can safely say this velvet is a good pillow :)

I'm just curious if you see my thought on the lonely geometric which is displaced by blues and florals? :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So just so I'm clear, you prefer this arrangement ? :)

Instead of either of these...

• Rose Druckman
    6 years ago

I really like the last photo with the blue and floral on both ends of the sectional. I'm not crazy about the chair matching pillow, but I'd use it in the center of the sectional possibly with 2 other pillows not yet identified. Lol. When I sit down on a sofa, I gravitate towards the end where the arm is. Three pillows at either end practically takes up an entire cushion where someone could be sitting,

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Rose! Yeah, not sure what to put in the center with the geometric print either.... and the throw blanket I had clashes with the new pillows. Hmm..

• barrowp
    6 years ago

The last of your recent three arrangements is the best, very pretty. Three pillows on the ends equals nowhere to sit, as Rose said. Back to my previous comment regarding pillow placement, try two on each end and three in the middle.

• Rose Druckman
    6 years ago

On second glance at the photos, I think the single geometric pillow looks fine on its own in the center. It makes sense because it matches the chair across the room. I don't think the throw has to be matchy matchy, especially if you place it towards the center of the sectional near the singleton pillow. You've got little kids, and while lots of pillows neatly placed on the sofa look nice, in reality, the kids are going to be moving them all over the room. If I were you, I'd consider the sofa done. You can always add more blues or teals in accessories or art.

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

You have a large sectional, so I would follow this arrangement. Just reverse the florals and solids.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Barrowp- thanks! Just trying to figure out three to go in the middle ...

Rose- I'm on the hunt for a good complementary throw blanket. Thinking maybe a very light Aqua?

Kitch- thanks, that pic is helpful! Unfortunately I don't think I can flip the solid and floral because the solid is larger than the floral so it wouldn't look that great. :/

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmm should I get another one of that blue pillow for the center? Or maybe that would be overkill. Something a little lighter, maybe just in a lumbar?

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

Yes, that's why I said to reverse the solid and florals :)

1. 3 large solid blue

2. 2 florals

3. 1 chair pillow

4. 1 lumbar in a different color or pattern

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ah, gotcha! Thanks! :)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

If you like the tone of blues you have now then stick with them jlynn and consider it done for now. You can get a lumbar later if you like and play around..... you will have the new baby VERY shortly...

I'm not sure how many of the blue velvet you just got yesterday?

Well, I'm off for a long day.... play with the pillows a bit.... if you want to get a solid lumbar for the center with some texture in it great! You know the pillows that are better made look better... Hence the CB ones you got yesterday with down fill!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

crate and barrel lumbar maybe in a different tone that works with the blues, florals, etc vs. a different tone blue in the center.... you can add either with it if you don't like the single

They would look nice replacing the geometric pillows :) putting two geometric back on the chair.

Good luck and be careful! You are due NOW!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

off for a long day.... good luck if you try the lumbars! I think it's a great choice and you are stuck on using the geo pillows and don't need to be.... you can move them around from time to time if you like :)

• barrowp
    6 years ago

I would want a floral and a blue in the center along with a gray lumbar or geo print, and a blue or cream throw. I also had a pillow made to match my geo print chair/ottoman, and after experimenting with it all around the room, it lives on its matching chair. Just never felt right anywhere else.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Porter! The geometric pillows are rather large so maybe I'll put just one on the chair. Wonder if I even need a pillow on the chair?

Barrowp- thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to hunt for a lumbar that coordinates with the pillows for the center. For the throw, trying to figure out if I would want a blue one or not since I think it will be tough to match the blue in the pillows. Think I might have to go lighter. Cream would be easier.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wonder if a dark green, brown/bronze or rust throw might work?

• barrowp
    6 years ago

I have the fringed Pier 1 throw in cream, it is very pretty. I have washed it on delicate and air dried with no problems. I don't think I would add another color with the throw.

As for the geo pillow on the chair, I would try placing it against the back cushion, not angled. If it is comfortable to sit that way, great. If everyone will want to throw it on the floor to sit, forget it. The chair doesn't need a pillow.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks barrowp! Is your Pier 1 throw the chenille one? Headed over there tonight!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

One of these colors maybe?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I'd go with the cream if you want a different throw... something the tone of the background of the print appears to be off white like the above throw. I would NOT do rust.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

You could try this one I posted way back with a mix of the colors you are using... The off white would probably very nice though.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm at Crate and barrel and they have this throw:

Technically called "taupe" but has bits of gray and tan:

Thoughts? Or should I stick with a solid cream?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

it won't let me zoom... just keeps on spinning... Do you have your swatch for your floral pillows. I think solid from Pier 1, but if you think it will work with the color of the couch I say go for it... I also think you might look at the off white lumbar for the center that I posted at 6:30am :)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

However, if you think it leans gray, I'm sure it is better quality.. I can't get it to zoom to make a board for you quickly!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

get it and two of the lumbars... no more of the geometric on the couch!!!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Look at that lumbar to see what you think! or the darker one

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

not liking the darker it's too cool IMO... as in not warm enough... cool gray... the light lumbar is pretty. However it's a computer monitor so you can better see them in person and I can't :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And found this cream and tan throw... thinking this might work better?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here it is spread out

and sadly they didn't have any of the lumbar pillows in store to check out!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I bought another one of the blue pillows for the center of the couch

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bought the Pier 1 cream throw too! I'll try them both out and see which one works better. Wish they'd had the lumbar in store to see :( still searching for that... thanks, all! (Porter I feel like I should be paying you lol)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

LOL, I had just got home from a 10 hour day... thought, "why, why won't she listen to me"! I have tried and tried to get you to move the pillows that belong on the chair to the chair (even one).... I do like three pillows on each end of the couch as it is vast (realize you know they won't be perfect with kids, but you can put them back and make them as you like and others disagree with the 3 on ea. end and respect that)... in the middle?

I feel you need a different pillow for the corners such as that linen textured lumbar in a neutral from CB or similar. You don't want off white Mongolian so that's out and it has a lot of texture and it's very, very durable.... I have them as seat cushions on 4 of my 6 chairs in an eat in kitchen and they are great. Yet, if you don't like the look, it's all good. I'm happy to help you... Don't ever think I'm not!

No worries..... really.. you are the Ever Ready Bunny!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

kitchme has a good photo showing more solids with your three floral..... nixing the struggle from prior post and this post... I think you need to put one on the chair and store the others and repurpose them in other rooms such as a spare bedroom or rotating if one gets worn or looses it's, "poof" :)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

not that the third needs to be Mongolian... just a solid in a decent quality pillow with some texture and I'd go with a neutral that ties in with the background of the floral. Just pulling from above with some textures with the floral :)

You kill me girl... you are about to have a baby any day!!!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Porter! Definitely appreciate all your help and NOT trying to ignore your suggestions, promise! I feel like the fur pillow is just not really my style. And I love the darker teal colored pillows but feel they look too dark when in I put them in the room. Wish I could have you come see the room in person! I sometimes feel like the photos don't reflect accurately. :/

i definitely agree that I need a lumbar or two in the mix in a neutral color, just need to find the perfect one in the perfect color! I promise once I do I will take the geometric print pillow off the couch! I just feel like it needs more than a couple pillows since it's so big! (Also had a thought... that floral pattern pillow I have comes in a lumbar - possibility?)

ok so earlier today I bought a third blue pillow and cream/tan throw blanket at C&B, and I bought an off white throw blanket at Pier 1. Looking at the throw only (since the pillows are still a work on progress), which do you like better?

here's the C&B throw... its cream with tan along the edges and tassels on the ends. Super soft...

And here's the Pier 1 throw... I'd say this is more of an off white/oatmeal, not as much cream... it also has tassels on the end...

Thoughts?

And are the three blue pillows too much blue?

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!