SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_janssen65

Is My Red Maple Dead?

Matt Janssen
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all - I purchased a Royal Red Maple a month and a half ago from a local nursery. It is a decently sized one - probably about 8 or 9 feet tall. About 2 weeks in, it started to look sick. First the leaves were all drooping. Then eventually they turned a sickly red-green on top and almost gray beneath. After about 5 weeks I called the nursery because it looked pretty terrible. They came out last Tuesday and said they thought it would make it. The leaves were curled, droopy, and off-color - but still felt alive overall. Their diagnosis - transplant shock. About two mornings ago I went out and the leaves all felt crispy and dead. Now at five days since they came to look at it, they are even browner and crispier. Only a leaf or two has fallen - but it certainly doesn't seem like it will make it to me. With not one healthy leaf, how would it bounce back? Should I call them again? Wait a bit?

I'm very disheartened by the whole thing. $500 to get a tree that big with delivery and planting by the nursery. They will replace it under warranty - but I don't want another to come and die. I don't know if we overwatered, under-watered, if it got some disease, if the soil isn't right, bugs, fungus, etc.

They told us when it is hot - which it was when we first got it - to water every two or three days - to just turn the hose on somewhat low and let water seep down in to the ground. We did that a time or two - but from there it rained off and on for two weeks straight - sometimes pretty hard. The soil has not felt dry since.

Any thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (4)