SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tscholorado

Help! Is my maple tree dead?

6 years ago

Hi there. Four years ago (May 2013) I bought two "Autumn Blaze" (Acer x freemanii 'Jeffersred') Maples from a local nursery and had them professionally planted about 30 ft. apart in our suburban back yard. They seemed to take to their new home and get established nicely, and both grew significantly each year. Last fall they were both beautiful and healthy-looking—around 20 ft. tall.

Sadly, this spring, one of them budded and leafed out like normal, and the other didn't leaf at all. I'd think it is completely dead except for the fact that it is now sprouting a few new sprigs/leaves directly out of the trunk, right at the junction where the trunk first starts to branch. There are basically no leaves on the canopy.

Any idea what could have happened? Why would this tree “die” while it's brother is just fine? Is it salvageable? Anything I can do to help it?

My wife and I are super bummed, as we bought these trees for our kids—one for each—so they could grow together. Our daughter is sad that "her tree" is dead. :(

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting