SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

An interest in our individual climates.....

Hello fellow Adenium aholics and plant enthusiasts.

I am making this thread as a hope to gain and become more informed about each of our different climates. Temperatures, hours of sunlight, etc. Not to find out necessarily where each of us resides, but more as a tool to relate to the growing of these Adeniums and what each of us has to offer for optimum growth.

I will start with mine. I live on the coast of British Columbia, Canada (my choice to list, not everyone's) where it is listed as Zone 7b.-8a.. We have 4 Seasons, Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter. Our temperatures vary from Fall/Winter (mid Oct-Feb) at approx. 10C - -8C. Most years we can get snow during Dec. - Feb., but it rarely lasts more than a few days and melts. Spring/Summer (Mar. - mid Oct). From May - Sept. our temperatures can be 10C - 35C. During the Summer our humidity can be 42 - 70%. Our Hours of sunlight changes from Winter to Summer, outside of cloudy skies altering this. Dec 21st is our shortest day with 9-10 hours of daylight. June 21st is our longest day with 16+ hours of daylight. Right now it is light at 6:00a.m. and dark by 10:00p.m.. Temperature here today is 33C with 68% humidity.

My plants all live inside from Oct. - Mar. in Southern exposure and outside from Apr. - Sept..

With weather the way it has been over the past few years, much of this can vary.

Majority of the time they retain leaves. For some reason this past winter 50% of them went dormant.

All outside and enjoying the sun.

Rick

Comments (28)

• Kadie
    8 years ago

This is an interesting topic and I would like to contribute to it after I have compiled information for my location.

Not too long ago when looking up information about rainfall in different zones for comparison purposes, I found out about microclimates within each zone. For example, on my tiny island, the south side gets more rainfall than the north.

So I would like to share this information: "Microclimates may cover large areas or just a couple square feet. Microclimates are pockets that differ significantly from an area's overall climatic zone. They can be created by features that modify climate such as protected spots, exposed areas, elevation, and north/south facing slopes, walls and canyons."

-Kadie

• Kadie
    8 years ago

I live on Guam USA. Latitude/Longitude: 13.4211° N,
    144.7397° E. USDA zone 11b. The island of Guam is approximately 30 miles in length
    with a variable width, ranging from 12 miles to 4 miles at its narrowest point,
    and is the largest island in the Marianas.
    We have a tropical wet climate. The
    longest day of the year is 12:47 hours and the shortest day is 11:12 hours. It is sunny 55.3% of daylight hours. The
    remaining 44.7% of daylight hours are likely cloudy or with shade, haze or low
    sun intensity.

“Guam's climate is pleasantly warm year-round. The
    mean annual temperature is 81 degrees; generally, the range is from the low 70s
    to the middle 80s. The coolest and least humid months, marked by prevailing
    westerly trade winds, are in December through February. Although the warmest
    months are from March through August, the refreshing trade winds blow steadily.
    The annual rainfall totals 80 to 110 inches. There are two seasons, the dry and
    the rainy. The dry season, ‘fanumnangan,’ begins in December through June. The
    rainy season, ‘fanuchanan,’ falls within the remaining months.”

To say we have dry and rainy seasons is kind of
    misleading: There are two months out of
    the year when it rains almost every day, and two months out of the year when it
    does not rain as much as the rest of the year.
    Right now it is 81F with 94% humidity and it is raining lightly.

My plants live outdoors year-round, and my adenium
    seeds are sprouted in the shade. It was
    during the two-month rainy period last year when I worried my newly
    transplanted adenium seedlings were getting too much water. However, I worried needlessly because my
    seedlings loved the rain and thrived.

-Kadie

• Related Discussions

transforming a yard into something more interesting...

Q

Comments (20)
    Well, here's my hope that everything in your yard survives! I missed this post originally, but I like it. I'm still not growing nearly as much as I know could be grown in my climate, but my little plot of hardy arugula makes me happy every time I have a salad, knowing I'm eating more greens because I'm growing it, and consuming less petroleum for the same reason. Healthier for me and the earth. And each time I eat one of my own tomatoes or cucumbers or beans, I'm happy about that too, for the same reasons. I do that less, because I'm still learning and nothing is quite as easy as arugula. Another great book for gardeners, in this vein, is Animal Vegetable Miracle. Though I found her tomato sauce recipe bland, the rest of the book was great. Susannah
    ...See More

Yellow or Green Figs for our climate?

Q

Comments (4)
    I grow a variety called Verde (also called Strawberry) that has good vegetative gowth in south LA. However, it starts to ripen later than Celeste or Brown Turkey and ripens over a long period, so quite a few figs remain unripened when the days start getting to short to fully mature. But one the good side, it is the best tasting fig that I grow. It is also the only fig that I have found which will dry on the tree in this humidity (as long as there is not too much rain). It has a dark red interior. If left to dry partially or fully on the tree it actually tastes like strawberry preserves. The figs ripen slowly, only a few at a time so they are best enjoyed picked an eaten right off of the tree. If you want to make preserves, you need many trees. Birds don't bother them much since they stay green and only change to a slightly lighter green when ripe.
    ...See More

Realtor...Does he have our best interest?

Q

Comments (7)
    None of those homes are selling if they are still on the market. The correct selling price for any of them may be thousands less than they are asking. Only a realtor who does a competent market analysis using sold homes can help you to price your home. But, if the one realtor is suggesting that you price your home the lowest of the bunch that are for sale in your unit, then that realtor probably understands the urgency that you will need to have in actually selling. If you want to sell, price it lower than any of the comps and sell it, not at around what other people are asking and NOT selling. Otherwise, you're likely to be on the market for months chasing it down one price reduction at a time. Price it aggressively from the beginning if you actually want to be in that new home.
    ...See More

roses on clay vs sand in hot climates and cold climates

Q

Comments (51)
    Came back to this thread to check on Comte de Chambord, yes, Val grows it, and I agree that needs loamy soil, lots of rain, and healthier if alkaline. Comte is rooting easily in my wet baggie, and rooted easily in heavy out-door rain, while other cuttings rot. Comte has aggressive root and can root easily in alkaline sand, but I need to make my rooting-medium more acidic for the cuttings which are harder to root. Pink Pet definitely likes dry/loamy soil and warmer climate (Val's pic. is awesome). But died in my soaking wet clay last winter.
    ...See More
  • ladylotus
    8 years ago

What a wonderful topic. I have been reading and studying information about Adeniums for quite a long time. I too read a lot on website groups from some of the more knowledgeable Adenium growers and have learned so much
    from them. Specifically what I've learned is that the more sun you have
    the faster your Adeniums will grow, not to mention the stouter they become with those prize winning thick caudex. From all my reading I have learned to manipulate my poor climate conditions to allow my plants to grow...albeit much slower than those who live in those wonderful tropical climates. But that is ok as I am terribly addicted to these lovely plants and do not mind putting in the extra efforts to get them to grow.

I
    live in North Dakota close to the Canadian border. My average summer
    temperature highs are 70 - 90 deg F and our average lows are 40 - 55 deg
    F. We get an average rainfall of 17 inches give or take. The humidity
    is very low most of the time and we have to provide a lot of supplemental watering for most of our outdoor plants.

We
    also have 4 seasons and our winter months are long and cold (10 F to
    -30 F). Due to these long winters I do not take my adeniums outdoors
    until end of May beginning of June and bring them back in during Sept or
    beginning of October depending on the year and temperatures.

I
    used to leave my adeniums in my greenhouse but I do not heat above 45
    deg F due to heating expense and that was just too cold if ANY water got
    on the adenium it would rot. Now I bring my entire large collection
    into the house and find as many south and west windows to display them
    as possible. Some of them drop there leaves and go completely dormant
    while others may retain their leaves but just sit in a semi-state of dormancy.

I
    started collecting true species plants and am finding that each has a
    little different growing need. I'm still experimenting with this and
    hope that I will be able to keep all these species alive and healthy.

Thank
    you for starting this thread. It is very interesting as those in
    non-tropical climates have a much bigger challenge in getting these to
    grow quickly and bloom heavily. Kudos to those that are putting forth
    the extra effort to grow them. In addition, those in the tropical climate have challenges keeping their Adeniums alive during the weeks of torrential rain. I'm always interested to know what everyone is doing to keep their Adeniums alive and healthy.

• Kadie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I admire those adenium lovers who are conscientious
    in the care of their plants in whatever climate they live.

The tropics get its share of natural phenomena in
    the form of tropical storms. The
    Marianas islands are experiencing one right at this moment—lots of rain. Thankfully not a full-blown typhoon! It is 65 miles northeast of Guam now and is
    moving in a northwest direction. This is
    very good—not forecasted anymore to hit us.
    My babies are in shelters.

-Kadie

Note to Jed:
    Don’t even think about it! I’m superstitious—don’t
    want this storm to become a full-blown typhoon and turn around to hit us on the
    head!

• Jericson Pastor
    8 years ago

Weather in Hawaii is very consistent, with only minor changes in temperature throughout the year. There are really only 2 seasons in Hawaii: summer (called Kau in Hawaiian) from May to October and winter (Hooilo) from November to April. The average daytime summer temperature at sea level is 85º F. (29.4 C) while the average daytime winter temperature is 78º (25.6º C). Temperatures at night are approximately 10º F. lower.

Temperature and Climate Zones

The islands are an incredible collection of diverse micro-environments, each with its own unique weather, plants, and animals. As a result of the shielding effect of volcanic mountains and the differences in weather found at various elevations, you can find tropical rain forests, cool alpine regions, arid deserts, and sunny beaches - all within the span of just a few miles.

Rainfall and Trade Winds

Through most of the year, Hawaiian weather patterns are affected primarily by high-pressure zones in the north Pacific that pump cool, moist trade winds down onto the island's northeastern slopes. These winds are forced up-slope by the mountain heights where their moisture condenses into clouds that produce rain. Most of the rain falls in the mountains and valleys on the windward (northeastern) side of the islands. It is this weather phenomenon that creates Hawaii’s rich, green, tropical environment.

The wettest months are from November to March, but winter rains do not generally disrupt vacation plans, since the weather is very localized. This means that if it is raining where you are, there is almost always a sunny spot to be found around the coast.

Hawaii’s trade winds mean there is almost always a cooling breeze here. Several times during the year the trade winds will stop completely and the wind will switch around to come out of the south or west, bringing stormy or hot sticky weather. Islanders sometimes call this "Kona" weather, because kona means leeward or South, and this points to the direction from which these weather systems arrive.

Water and Surf Conditions

Hawaii's near-shore water temperatures remain comfortable throughout the year. The average water temperature is 74º F. (23.3 C), with a summer high of 80º F. (26.7º C). Wave action varies dramatically between island coasts and seasons. Summer waters are typically gentle on all beaches. During the winter on many north shore beaches, Pacific storms drive ocean swells towards the islands, creating Hawaii’s legendary big waves.

Wave conditions are often very localized, so if the waves are too big on your beach, you can usually find calmer water at a more sheltered beach. Strong currents can make any beach unsafe at any time during the year, particularly in the winter. Ask your hotel staff or a lifeguard about ocean currents or look for warning flags and posted beach conditions.

Hawaii's Mountains and Volcanoes

Many visitors are drawn to the natural beauty found in higher elevations such as Kokee on Kauai, Haleakala on Maui, or Kilauea on the Big Island. Temperatures in these higher locations drop 3.5 degrees for every 1,000 feet above sea level that you climb, so dress appropriately with pants and several layers of clothing. At an elevation of 10,023 feet, the summit of Haleakala can be as much as 30º F. cooler than resort areas on the coast.

Also note that because of these high elevations, there is less protection from the sun's powerful UV rays, so come prepared with sun block and sunglasses.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jericson, Hawaii is my favorite location. I could live there in a flash. Stay most times on Maui (Kehei, but have stayed on the Big Isand (Kona) and Oahu. Always go to the Botanical Garden on Maui (The Garden of Eden).

There was a women that had purchased a large number of Adeniums in Kehei. Her husband has a Nursery/Landscape business. Never had a chance to see them.

Rick

• Jericson Pastor
    8 years ago

is that rodney oshima, he got a nursery here in oahu, but hard to contact him, and he got a small nursery shop for succulents down the road by my house, but he only sells grafted obesums, and the rest of his items is in his main nursery, the employee in the small shop said, they currently moving house or something like that, so probably his busy, but emailed him numerous time, only replied to my first email, i wanted to visit the nursery via appointment

http://dhpadenium.blogspot.com/

its an old blog, but he got crazy collections, all kinds of succulents and exotic trees etc etc.

• addicted2plants Southern IL USA
    8 years ago

Love this thread Rick, thanks for starting it. I will post my climate info after I have collected the remaining details.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, it was not Rodney. Would have liked to see his plants though.

Just keep showing us your Jericson on the thread you started. It is nice to see their progression that you are achieving.

Rick

8 years ago

Here is my local climate info, for Waterloo Illinois (corn country)

Latitude 38°20'29N Longtitude 090°09'26W

Elevation 650’

Average temperature 56F degrees (13 celcius)

Four seasons (Summer, Autumn/Fall), Spring, Winter)

43.14 inches of rainfall a year (109 cm)

202 sunny days per year (their definition of sunny is loose)

11 inches annual snowfall average (30 cm)

Frost occurs October through April

January we have about 8 hours of daily sunlight

June’s end we have about 15 hours of daily sunlight

My Adenium seedlings are all raised indoors under florescent tube lights. They get 15 hours a day of tubes. I have my larger plants outside and will probably bring them in around September. The larger plants will not fit beneath the tubes so they will probably get minimal light from the windows and go dormant.

Tracy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, your conditions look somewhat similar to mine. I made a raised cold-frame/greenhouse for most of my seedling and juveniles. This way I can get them out a little earlier and I like that no rain gets to them. I control their water schedule this way.

I spray paint juice containers shiny black and fill with water, then lay them around inside the greenhouse and they collect heat throughout the day. It is amazing how much added heat they give off during the night to keep night temps. up.

Rick

8 years ago

Rick this is something I would love to see if you could find the time to take some pictures of your setup. I have some room in the back yard for something like this and would love to have this ready in time before next spring hits and my seedling population is running rampant. It doesn't have to be on your climate thread, I wouldn't want to derail the conversation. The juice container idea is great. How many do you have to use to get the desired result? Are they 32 oz. type of containers?

Tracy

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

I'm on the coast in southwest Florida (south of Tampa) right near the zone lines of 9b and 10a.

Average Temperature (Annual) 74.8F (23.7C)

Average Humidity (Annual) 76.76%

We have 4 seasons though some years it seems like just 3

Elevation is a staggering 10ft (~3m)

Average Rainfall 55 inches (140cm)

Shortest day 10.5 hours of sunlight

Longest day 14 hours of sunlight

Frost -- it hardly gets below 40F here but every year is different.

Last Snowfall (if it could even be called that) was early 90s if I remember correctly.

Weather activity this time of year (June July Aug) is on average 92F (33C) usually 90F to 95F (32C-35c with humidity at about 85-90%

We get rain most days this time of the year, mostly afternoon showers, though it just finished raining for what felt like 5 days straight. Currently it's 85F (29C) at 5pm in the afternoon.

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

Hi, Nicholas, I am just north of you, in Palm Harbor. We have had 8 inches of rain this week. Pool is almost overflowing.

I keep putting my seedlings under the glass patio table so they don't get swamped, and out again when the sun is out. Like now.

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

Hi Cynthia. You're about 1.5 hours north of me. I panicked with all the rain and pushed my adeniums right against the house then hoped the overhang was enough to keep them from getting splashed and missed too much.

8 years ago

Rick, thank you so much for taking the time to capture and post these. Upon first glance the shape reminded me of a rabbit hutch. It is extremely sophisticated. Wow, you have thought of everything. I have a few questions, I hope you do not mind?

The corrugated plastic used on the sides, where does this come from?

Do you have a stick inside the rollup shade to keep it level?

Is all the lumber you used treated?

Do you tear this down at the end of the growing season?

Regards, Tracy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, do not mind question at all.

The corrugated plastic used on the sides, where does this come from?

I got the corrugated plastic on the sides from HD. It is UV Protected on one side. The roof is made with 30ml Plastic which is also UV Protected. The corrugated could also go on the roof.

Do you have a stick inside the rollup shade to keep it level?

I have have a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe inside. When the sides are down. I took the PVC pipe and rolled the end on level to bottom and used pipe cut in half about 6" long pieces and clamped it against the roll up pipe and srewed it on with self tapping screws to keep plastic attached. You put another piece of pipe about 6"-8" long, drill a hole through both pieces and attach with a bolt at 90 degrees to make a handle to roll up sides. I use a chain at one end to hold the roll up at what ever height I want it.

Is all the lumber you used treated?

Lumber is pine that I painted with a stain that I had left over.

Do you tear this down at the end of the growing season?
    No, I leave it up and throw a piece of plastic over it to help keep it clean and protect it.

I used the white coated plastic Rubbermaid shelving that is used in the house for inside.

I also attached plastic to the underside ( some drain holes in it ) so that it would keep as much heat in and free of drafts when I had it closed up.

Rick

• Marie Tran
    8 years ago

Very good looking Rick. I wish I have bigger backyard.

Marie

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

Nice job, Rick.

8 years ago

Rick this is fantastic. When I hear the term "cold frame" I think of the little plastic tent like object that sits on the ground. You have raised yours up in the air away from the harm of most critters and pests. I already have a sturdy workbench that I could use as the base for building this structure. Thank you again for taking the time to capture and document this for us all.

Tracy

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

Hey folks, now don't get jealous of my UK climate here in West Yorkshire, no need to rush out n buy a plane ticket, unless you want rain and fog and dropping temps right now, anyway, a few bits of info for my location..

Latitude - 53.7573473, Longitude - 1.9049105

Ave temps -

Jan-april 2-4c (35-39f) / May-sept 5-12c (41-54f) / Oct-april 2-8c (35-46f)

Frost usually comes between October -April/May

Snow if and when really, not every year, but last few years we have had anything from a light covering to 3-4feet in places.

Average rainfall

Jan-april 14-20 days /60-100mm

May-sept 13-16 days /50-75mm

Oct-dec 16-21 days/80-110mm

This is average rainfall, sometimes we get lots more and get localised floods at times which can happen anywhere between Oct -April, and just today due to terrential rain we had some roads flooded

Average summer temps daytime approx 19c night time lows around 12c, again average temps so we do get these higher at times, if lucky lol

So it's not a great place to grow adeniums, but I love these trees and that's why I went out and bought my led lights and grow tent, so I too can enjoy these great plants and try to grow them half as good as you guys on here :-)

• kerryblue25
    8 years ago

Hi everyone my Hardy zone is 9a ,Annual high temperature:79.4°FAnnual low temperature:50.2°FAverage temperature:64.8°FAverage annual precipitation - rainfall:12.01 inch

CA ( Calfifornia) as a whole is in a serious drought. We do get temps below 30 degrees but it will be only for 3 hrs and only for a few days if a cold front comes in. Last year it snowed 6 miles away and this hasn't happen since 1930 !

I would say we have winter for barely 2 months give or take. We have random weather where I live. One day it could rain out of no where then the next day triple digits. I live right in the war zone of the santa ana winds. We can get pretty high winds and when its cold the wind and cold will burn the plants.

This year they said El nino is coming which would end the drought. We will have to wait in see. It barely rains here and we have low humidity so its very hot and dry. I live not far from Vegas and the Mohave Desert reserve. I am also close to Joshua tree. I am very tempted to plant a adenium in the ground.

If some do not know I have a 26' x 48' greenhouse that is almost finished. I will be placing seedlings in there and if we do get colder temps I will place all adeniums in greenhouse. I will not have a heater but when summer hits I will place a shade cloth over the green house to keep heat down. 2 circulating fans will also be bought for next year.

Lastly even though I posted our average temps I feel like 90-100 plus for summer is normal. Just a few weeks ago we had two heat waves and they went triple digits.

• Pagan
    8 years ago

Kerry, if I were you and I had that climate, I will totally plant several in the ground and allow them to grow into the mind-boggling trees they are supposed to be. Baobabs too! Oh and some of those Dracaena cinnabari

Pagan

• maddisonp45
    8 years ago

Hey everyone, I live in northern australia very close to indonesia. We have a wet season and a dry season and it is very hot and humid all the time. Temps never go below 30°C and at the moment we are in wet season my adeniums are loving it mainly because its so hot and humid (stays around 80-90% humidity) and the soil is very well draining. They are in full sun including my seedling which are 4 weeks old now and thriving getting water everyday. Hope this helps :)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey maddisonp, How did you make out getting some trees ordered. I hope it was fine and you have some coming.

Rick

• maddisonp45
    8 years ago

I just ordered some special seeds ordering an actual plant is too expensive. Maybe I might from this lady in QLD here in aus one day, but other than that I will stick to seeds. Hopefully they turn out good and not just pink haha