SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Zone 4, English Roses In Early Summer

My garden is incredible this year. Warm May, wet June and lush, verdant growth. Mulch, fish fertilizer and a massive assist from "Mother Nature" have given me a garden that brings me, and apparently passers by, joy. Some pics of the usual suspects - my English rose collection:

The Reeve, love this rose! Would get quite large I suspect in a warmer climate. For me, it is a healthy, vigorous, continuous blooming treasure. Reminds me of some of the old Bourbon roses, but healthier and better blooming.

The Pilgrim, a little tender here, but comes back every year and gives me a few blooms like this. A gift, perhaps my favorite rose for bloom form and colour.

Cressida, fragrant, fragrant, fragrant; and did I mention she is fragrant. Also has peach, apricot and muddled blooms that are hauntingly beautiful. 'Nother treasure.

The Yeoman, a very early David Austin creation, 1969, Constance Spry X Monique. The pollen parent Monique is a mid-century HT, bred from Lady Sylvia. I got this rose from RVR as a free rose about 3 or 4 years ago and it is now a mature plant. Very impressive, gorgeous blooms as above with lots of buds to come, very healthy and starting to make a small but shapely little shrub. Ideal for the pot condo where it lives and thrives. Very, very, very fragrant!

Not an Austin, Octavia Hill, a floribunda bred by Harkness. No fragrance, but healthy and masses of blooms that look like these. Also becoming rare in N. American commerce.

Time now to go out and spend some more time in the garden. Happy rose season y'all!

Cheers, Rick

Comments (11)