SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdalenalee_gw

San Francisco Trip Itinerary - I might need some editing!

MagdalenaLee
8 years ago

My sister, nephew (10yo) and I are going the first week of August. This will be the first time for all of us. We're staying at the Fairmont in Union Square and we have five full days. I think my itinerary is packed but my sister is a go-go kind of person (I adapt) and nephew has a pretty short attention span so we probably won't be spending a lot of time in one place. As you can see, I haven't researched restaurants yet. I doubt we will be having three meals a day but I want to be prepared for lunch or dinner. This is what I have figured out so far:

Friday
-Arrive late so straight to hotel

Saturday
-Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market (breakfast - where ?),
-Embarcadero (Exploratorium Museum),
-FW/Pier 39 (Aquarium, RocketBoat Cruise, Sea Lions, lunch of fresh street crab)
-Back to hotel
-Chinatown (dinner - where ?)
-Back to hotel

Sunday
-Union Square (breakfast - where ?)
-FW bike rental - Crissy Field, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito, take picnic lunch
-Ferry ride back to FW
-Back to hotel
-Explorer neighborhoods using streetcars (North Beach, Nob Hill/Russian Hill (Lombard St Trolley))
-Dinner at Frascati atop Russian Hill
-Back to hotel

Monday
-Rent a car (at hotel) drive to breakfast (where ?)
-Drive to Muir Woods for some hiking
-Drive to Ocean Beach, look for sand dollars
-Lunch (where ?)
-Golden Gate Park (California Academy of Sciences, Flower Conservatory)
-Back to hotel
-Dinner (where ?)
-Back to hotel

Tuesday
-Fairmont Hotel breakfast
-Fairmont Hotel kid's scavenger hunt & rooftop garden w/ bee hives
-Alcatraz Tour
-Lunch (where ?)
-Back to hotel
-Find some Sushi!
-Back to hotel

Wednesday
-Breakfast (where ?)
-(them) iFly in Union City / (me) work in hotel room
-Lunch (where ?)
-Walk around Haight & Castro Street
-Dinner (where ?)
-Back to hotel

So what do you think?

Comments (53)

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Hi Magdalena,

Sounds like fun!

When we did Alcatraz, we got a picnic from the Ferry Terminal Market. I liked Alcatraz so much more than I thought I would; it's a lovely site.

I've never biked over the GG bridge but my DD did on a 6th grade trip. They do it every year and I hadn't heard that it was an issue. YMMV.

I would do Le Garage to eat in Sausalito. In San Fran I like the Fog City Diner (even if it is touristy, but then almost all of San Fran is touristy!). ON the other end of the spectrum is all the many top notch pricey spots. You can find those easily. If you want to splurge, Aquerello is one of the best IMHO. But honestly, I think you can eat very well for far less. I mean, it's California! The food is super everywhere.

For dim sum, I like Ton Kiang.

MagdalenaLee thanked MtnRdRedux
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I've only been a tourist in SF but agree you should book Alcatraz now. Believe you can do it online. I remember eating at Scoma's at the Wharf a couple of times and it was really good for seafood. You could walk around the wharf area and find lunch after visiting Alcatraz. There are several places to grab lunch, and don't miss the Ghiaradelli shop and pick up some chocolate. Also The Stinking Rose if you like Italian (there is garlic in everything hence the name) but it was very good even if known a tourist spot. We did eat in Chinatown once but don't remember the name of the place but it was good. Definitely ditto the In-n-Out Burger for a lunch.

• Related Discussions

SanFrancisco for New Years

Q

Comments (7)
    Alameda is in the East Bay, but SF is not far away. In the East Bay, is the Berkeley Botanical Garden. In January it will be cool (upper 50's to low 60's. In San Francisco the Stribing Arboretum in Golden Gate Park (9th Ave. and Lincoln Way) is a must--great plants, many sub-tropical, and a beautiful garden. Nearby there are lots of great places to eat or have tea on 9th ave. Also in GG park is the history Conservatory Of Flowers--tropical plants as well as the 19th century architecture of the building itself. GG park itself is also worth driving around--so many neat little hidden meadows ponds and lakes. South of SF on the coast is Half Moon Bay. I am over there all the time. I like to visit Half Moon Bay Nursery--it has a nice greenhouse area of houseplants as well as another greenhouse full of succulents. A nice inexpensive seafood restaurant at the Marina is Ketch Joanne. HMB is very pretty with farms, huge commercial greenhouses and open space making for a good way to visit the Pacific Ocean. Downtown HMB is full of nice shops full of high end art and crafts. My housemate Charles has a shop next to a grove of gigantic rust metal dinosaurs. Our neighbor, who has the dinosaurs, has a great outdoor gardening sculpture and pottery business, but what would you do with a 300 lb fountain? He rarely sells the dinosaurs, because they are so huge; but they are a great stop for tourists with kids, and he just likes having them. He keeps adding more. People are always stopping to check them out and take pictures. Olive trees do well around here but there haven't been local commercial groves for many years. There may be some to the north near Sonoma, another very picturesque town with historic buildings and shops. Alicia might know. A junior college (Canada College) near me is built on land that once was an olive grove. There are many old trees, growing wild, up and down the hillside and in a seldom visited little canyon. I get olive seedlings coming up in my yard all the time as the birds drop the seeds. Jon
    ...See More

San Francisco, Sciabica, Suggestions-Barnmom, Sushipup, jkom and?

Q

Comments (27)
    If you have a car, then I would suggest you go to Draegers Grocery in San Mateo on 4th St. and have the most fun ever. Outrageously expensive but the best upscale grocer in the Bay Area. Since you've been to Spanish Table in other cities I wouldn't bother with the Berkeley location, it's pretty small although it is nearby the Cheese Board, which is a great cheese store run by a collective (very Berkeley). If you like seafood, then eat at Sea Salt on San Pablo & Dwight Way in Berkeley, an excellent place for lunch that is one of my favorites. If you do have your car when going to IKEA, then Townhouse Grill in Emeryville has an excellent burger and good salads, but Sea Salt is not that far north, just a few minutes, and is much better food. Their lobster roll is very tiny but absolutely choice and with a bowl of their excellent clam chowder (full of bacon and properly unthickened), my hands-down favorite lunch in the entire East Bay. Good wine list, excellent coffee, very laid-back at lunchtime. Weather in the Bay Area has cooled off and the fog is back, so bring that Polarfleece vest, especially for the Marina.
    ...See More

San Francisco next week - any suggestions?

Q

Comments (8)
    If you like seafood, go to Waterfront Restaurant on the Embarcadero. It is my favorite. If the weather is warm enough, sit outside on their patio. I also suggest, as others have, trying to get tickets in advance for Beach Blanket Babylon. For an interesting and delicious lunch, try The Helmand at 250 Broadway, I think it is. They have a $9.99 buffet lunch. The food is Afgani and the restaurant is owned by the brother of Afghanistan President Karzai. He also has restaurants in Boston and Baltimore. I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area most of my life and I just got back from vacation there.
    ...See More

2015 San Francisco Decorator's Showcase

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks so much for posting this...most interesting to look at. That being said, there was little I liked. I always look at rooms first with "do I want to live here?" Perhaps that's not the best way, but it's instinctive. Then I look at pieces and parts to see if there are particular elements that I like. It says something to me when the 2 rooms I liked best were the wine cellar and the laundry. Loved the ceiling in the wine cellar, and loved the wallpaper in the laundry. The family room wasn't bad and I really liked the glossy ceiling and the color. The wood chest in the LR under the orange lamp was gorgeous. Then I look for trends or themes and see what I think of them. I see the big trend in wall treatments and wall paper. While I'd never want to live with it, I thought the DR mural was amazing, and liked the spray can art. But for the most part, despite the fact that I typically love wallpaper, I found little to like here. I so hate the wall treatments in the "cozy powder room" that I'd be looking for someplace else to do my business. Frankly, the ceiling fixtures were simply odd and fall in the category of, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. As is the built-in water dish and pee pad for the dog. Yuck. I especially did not like the yard installation. I'm a country gal and what I hate about going to the city is you are surrounded by walls so rarely get to see the sun shine unless you look straight up. Why I'd purposely install something in a yard with the same characteristic is beyond me. Sort of reminiscent of the Vietnam Memorial, sinking into the earth. Perhaps it's a lack of training on my part, but when I think of Julia Morgan, I think of San Simeon, and I don't get that at all out of the foyer. I see the structural elements but that would work for Roebling or many others just as well.
    ...See More
  • MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Crl -

"I'm exhausted." Not a good sign! A friend just sent a message this morning saying we should go to Richmond. So just walk thru Chinatown? She suggested Burma Superstar.

I think we are pretty committed to the bike ride. We plan on doing the short one which is 8 miles. We won't have a guide so I guess we can go wherever we want. The bike rental lady said the route is mostly flat. My nephew is pretty tough so I'm more worried about me than him! I'll check out the Presidio and marina. Thanks!

So no to Ocean Beach? I really wanted to check out a beach facing the ocean. Google maps says Muir Woods is about a 40 minute drive from our hotel, so are you saying three hours considering traffic? I was planning for about a 10 hour day (bed to bed). We will be leaving before 8am and I was assuming that traffic would be lighter heading out of town. I just threw in Cal Academy because it's part of the CityPass. I'm fine with not going, especially since we'll be going to the Exploratorium. I read that the Flower Conservatory will be in full bloom in August, so would love to see.

We have our tickets for Alcatraz already and I think we've allowed plenty of time to visit.

There will only be one day we will have a car (the Muir Woods day). We will be using the Muni for the rest of our trip since we purchased a CityPass. I'm taking two different kinds of walking shoes as well!

Sushi-

Can I assume you can recommend some good sushi?

I just noticed last night that the hotel is located in Nob Hill! I wonder why all the travel sights categorize it in Union Square? Thanks for the restaurant recs, I was looking at Sears. Union City is pretty far, so they are going to use Uber. Union City and Alcatraz are on different days. I'll check out the cable car barn. Thanks!

Mtn-

More restaurant recs - thanks! I think we are going to grab some deli food from somewhere and take it with us to Alcatraz. I believe it's okay to eat at the dock. We plan on hitting some fine dining establishments. A friend told me to check out Boulevard, The Blue Plate, ZUNI, and Slanted Door. I'll add Aquerello and Ton Kiang to the list. Thanks!

Outside-

We booked Alcatraz. We were almost too late, most of the tours were booked up. I read that the best food on FW was the fresh crab purchased from street vendors. I hope that's true, would really love that! Sister put the kibosh on Italian, she has plenty of that in NJ and we have In-N-Out in Austin. Yes to the chocolate!

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

Not the city of Richmond (across the Bay) but the Richmond district in SF.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Baker Beach faces the ocean. It is not a huge beach like ocean beach and no sand dollars. But the sea glass is better, IMO because it won't break on the trip home and it doesn't have to be soaked five million times to get the sand out.

i think three hours total drive time to drive to and from Muir Woods and then to Ocean Beach. You might get lucky and it would be less. We take every out of town visitor to Muir Woods and then to Fish. Both are universally a hit. I would go so far as to say its my favorite SF area restaurant.

Burma Superstar is amazing. Go early or be prepared to wait.

MagdalenaLee thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Ton Kiang in the Richmond has excellent dim sum. Good Luck dim sum is like fast food dim sum. We used to go there all the time. Just waiting in line is a little slice of SF. Gordo's tacquira has a branch in the Richmond--fast, dirt cheap, good and very SF.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Dungeness crab (the kind you want) is not in season again until November, but you can still get good crab at Fisherman's Wharf from vendors. I guess they have a stockpile somewhere. Sorry, I don't know sushi in SF (oops!)! Uber to Union City on a work day? Better check the price and avoid a shock! That's still quite a trek to UC and back. And use Uber or cabs around the city, especially at night when you won't want to use Muni. Cable cars would be ok, not Muni.
    Bookmark the SF Chronicle's food section for more restaurant info. http://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/ And don't forget tacquerias and pizza joints. If you are using the bus, tho, you won't want to take Muni to the Richmond or to the Mission just for a meal. That'll take all day.

MagdalenaLee thanked sushipup1
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I agree that muni isn't all that efficient to get to a lot of places. I don't know the routes. And at rush it can be super crowded. And don't take it at night. Über is good, they actually show up unlike the cabs. Cabs are fine though if you can hail one--just don't count on calling ahead for one and having it actually show up. Your hotel should have no trouble getting a cab for you though.

Oh and Cal Academy is ver worthwhile, I just wanted to point out that it can take some time to do. The children's playground is another great thing to do in gg park.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Forgot to mention, pack layers. SF is cold in the summer. My dad is fond of reminding me that the SF presidio was the only continental us base that never switched from winter uniforms.

And if anyone is a baseball fan, AT&T park is an awesome stadium. (Again, night games=cold, bring jackets, gloves). Tickets should be available on stubhub if a game is sold out.

• awm03
    8 years ago

I've bike across the Golden Gate Bridge twice and will be doing so again in about 10 days. Two heads up: yes, the winds are very strong, and it can be crowded with serious bikers who snarl at you for not holding your lane or slowing up traffic. Don't think you can stop to take in the views. Other than those things, it's worth the effort. Not trying to discourage you, just letting you know that because it's narrow, often crowded, and windy, you have to really pay attention and try to keep pace.

• ajuju
    8 years ago

Giants are away first week of August, or would definitely recommend AT&T! Agree that California Academy of Sciences is a must with a 10-year-old (my boys love it even more than Exploratorium) - and deYoung is also nice at same location. If you are set on Ocean Beach (so not representative of California's beautiful beaches - but the Ocean none-the-less) - could also visit the zoo and have lunch in the Sunset (The Pizza Place at Noriega or many Sushi restaurants in inner Sunset neighborhood). Also - read up on the California Coastal Trail. There are some beautiful hiking paths with the most beautiful views (take your camera!) Baker Beach, the Presidio, GG Bridge, Sutro Bath ruins....lovely! Muir Woods is nice - though touristy - the prescribed "hiking" route is merely a well-paved walk. The trees can't be beat. GG Bridge ride will be crowded but worth it - mid-day for least fog. Have a blast!

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

About ten years ago I did a day where I visited golden gate park and then walked over the Golden Gate bridge and that was very fun! Lots of room to stop and take in the views from the pedestrian side. I think I hopped a bus to get from park to bridge (it's about an hour walk from one to the other). Then I walked along the waterfront to get back downtown (and wished I had booked a trip to Alcatraz!)

In the park I particularly loved the Japanese tea garden and the AIDS memorial grove.

MagdalenaLee thanked robo (z6a)
  • sushipup1
    8 years ago

Don't let your sister dismiss Italian food so carelessly. The Italian food in SF is not the same as most East Coast places. And be sure to try cioppino, a San Francisco original. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cioppino

MagdalenaLee thanked sushipup1
  • terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

Instead of Uber look into Lyft. We were in SF a couple of weekends ago visiting my son and his GF, and they prefer Lyft these days. I signed up while we were there and got $5 each off of my first 10 rides. If you're lucky you'll get this cool hot pink Lyft car:

We also stayed on Nob Hill. I found it easier to get the cable car if you walk up the hill a bit and get on when it's stopped at an intersection. Too many people waiting at the turn around at Powell and Market.

And since you will be staying at the Fairmont check out the Tonga Room for pure kitsch!

MagdalenaLee thanked terezosa / terriks
  • cawaps
    8 years ago

I hestitate to add anything to your list, because I agree that Sunday and especially Monday are seriously overscheduled. But...

With a 10-year-old, I have 2 suggestions. The Sutro Baths are a weird little bit of San Francisco history near Ocean Beach and the Cliff House. It's the ruin of a swimming pool complex that was quite the attraction back in the day. Fort Point is a National Historic Site, a Civil War-era brick fort located pretty much right under the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge. They've got pretty a good interpretive movie about the construction of the bridge that is really quite interesting. It takes maybe 1 1/2 hours to do, and could be combined with your bridge day.

The Academy of Science and Golden Gate Park are going to take longer than you think (the Academy is great). I don't think that they are compatible with a trip to Muir Woods on the same day. I would probably cut Muir Woods out of the agenda, but that's me.

MagdalenaLee thanked cawaps
  • duvetcover
    8 years ago

I would suggest making dinner reservations in advance. Restaurants are crowded in the City - don't expect to just walk in and get a table. Have fun!

• texanjana
    8 years ago

I second Slanted Door, Boulevard and Aquarello. So many fab restaurants in SF. We have been to SF numerous times, and finally did Alcatraz on our last trip. I was so surprised how much we liked it. If you are into history, the museum at Angel Island is also very interesting, but it takes a lot of time. Golden Gate Park is easily a whole day. Also, if you want to ride a cable car do it first thing as the lines get incredibly long, particularly at Powell & Market. Can't help with sushi. We are going back for about our 10th trip in August. My best friend lives there. Have a great trip!

MagdalenaLee thanked texanjana
  • terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

Check out Yelp for restaurants. And I would probably go for smaller places outside of the "tourist" areas. My favorite meal on our last trip was breakfast at San Jalisco in the Mission. Best machaca I've ever had.

MagdalenaLee thanked terezosa / terriks
  • MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone! You've given me lots of restaurant options (reservation is my middle name!) and alternate things to do. I think we'll switch to Baker Beach and probably not do GG Park. My nephew is more of an outdoorsy kid vs. museums so the Cali Academy will probably be for another trip. I can't believe the amount of clothes I'm planning on taking - walking, biking, layers, nice dinners - plus I'm not an efficient packer to begin with!

Awm03 - Snarling serious bikers on the bridge? Well, the bridge is for everyone so I imagine being polite, considerate and aware (which I strive to be always) will serve us well. If that fails, I have no problem with snarling back. I'm really looking forward to the bike ride.

We won't be taking any Muni buses, just the cool trolleys and cable cars. Calling Uber or a taxi if all else fails.

Gooster - I was looking at beaches in Marin but I don't want to drive too far north. Rodeo Lagoon looks great and I just found Point Bonita Lighthouse, I think that's a must do. Thanks so much!

Terriks - Thanks for the Lyft rec, I'll check it out.

Thank you everyone. I'm sure we will be playing fast and loose with our itinerary and there are and endless amount of things to do, so I'm going to bookmark all this info for later trips.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I haven't read everyone's replies, so apologies if I repeat what others have said. I live an hour north of the City.

I don't know where you live or what your summers are like, but it can be cold in SF in the summer, foggy, etc. Be prepared and wear layers.

I went to Muir Woods in early April and it was insane with crowds. Parking is a nightmare, and this was on a weekday, but perhaps it was Spring Break. The parking is a big issue. It's a beautiful spot, but I would cross it off your list for a summer visit.

I hear the new Exploratorium is fabulous.

Love the Presidio. There's a decent restaurant there called Presidio Social Club.

On the weekends the walkers and bikers are on separate sides of the GG Bridge, but during the week they share the city side. Ugh. Lots of tourists who've rented bikes and just ride three abreast. However, I love the walk across the bridge and back.

SF has great food. The Mission has the best burritos on the planet.

Fisherman's Wharf is super touristy. I don't know why people waste their time there.

There are lots of homeless people. Watch where you step.

I love SF, the best city on earth.

• cawaps
    8 years ago

If your kid is not into museums, I would probably cut the Exploratorium, honestly. Going to throw out yet another recommendation, though: The Maritime National Historic Park is pretty awesome. It has several historic ships that you can wander through and on, including an 1886 square-rigger, a steam ferry boat, some schooners, and a tug.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

I think if you get to Muir Woods before 9am parking should be fine. After 10am or so, you might be parking a ways down along the road.

I second (or third) the recommendation for Fish in Sausalito.

Some ideas for your nephew:

Exploratorium is great; we like Cal Academy too but really only the rainforest/aquarium part (it probably is more enjoyable for adults and younger kids as it seems to be a standard second grade field trip).

If your nephew is a big Star Wars fan, and you are exploring the Presidio area on a weekday drop by the Lucasfilm lobby and Yoda statue just for kicks and photos -- it won't take very long.

Going to iFly it might be faster to take BART to Union City and then Uber/Lyft from there. Either way they should plan on the trip taking longer than they think it should. There is an In-N-Out Burger right next to iFly. On the way back, they might work in a visit to the USS Hornet in Alameda if they're into that sort of thing.

Have a great trip!

• theclose
    8 years ago

I recently moved from SF. Lived there for 10 years. I miss it daily! Anyway, plenty of scheduling recs above but wanted to add that for restaurant reviews or recommendations check chowhound. Very thorough and full of reviews from people obsessed with food (in a good way). I will throw in Pizzeria Delfina (not run of the mill Italian in any way) with original location in the Mission and one in Pac Heights. We ate there weekly. Burma Superstar is great. I used to go where for lunch since you could wait for hours to get seated at dinner. No reservations. La Taqueria in the Mission for burritos. Agree with Nopalito rec. Mezes in the Marina for Greek. Chapeau for French. La Ciccia for Sardinian (excellent and something you can't find in many cities).

My mouth is watering now.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I don't know if someone else already said this, but if you're going to Muir Woods, leave EARLY. Eat breakfast in the car on the way! We have been there twice and the parking lot was packed by mid morning. When we drove to Muir Woods, we just then continued on to Sausalito to see the beach and have lunch. It was a really enjoyable day.

We have been to SF once in the spring and once in summer. In the spring, it was warm and beautiful. In the summer, it was damp and chilly. So be prepared with layers!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Magdalena,

Thats funny your sister says no Italian restaurants. I totally agree,and Ive never heard anyone else voice that before. It drives me totally bonkers that most restaurants, wherever you go in the US, are Italian. I am even tired of Northern Italian. It's all good, but I'm just tired of it.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I like Italian food, but I'm never interested in most Italian restaurants. Maybe because it's become a staple of everyday cuisine and I can simply fix it at home very easily.

I hesitate to say this and mean no offense, but "Cali" is like nails on a chalkboard. I know you won't call it "San Fran." :)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Linelle, lol. I know. I got told before we moved here to never say that. It's SF, San Francisco or (so arrogantly) "the city."

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

And NEVER "Frisco"!

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would never say "Cali" or "SF" but I'm a lazy typist. I used to live in a small town south of San Antonio, so I get it. Of course, saying it quickly turns it into "Santonyo."

Every other restaurant where my sister lives in NJ is Italian so I get it. Kind of like I'm not very interested in eating a burrito or BBQ when I go on vacation. Well, Mexican food is a little different since I know it's totally different out west than it is in Texas - but still.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

"SF" is perfectly fine, esp. when writing. Most of the time I call it "the city" and believe in my heart of hearts that it can only mean San Francisco.

Thank you for eschewing "Cali." :)

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Mexican food is never wrong. :)

• withoutanh
    8 years ago

Linelle, thank you, thank you, thank you. I have lived in CA most of my life and never heard a native (or longer term denizen) refer to it as Cali. It kind of hits me in the pit of the stomach and makes me feel slimy and disgusted.

Many of the restaurants mentioned here have been on "Check, Please Bay Area". Look for it on the local PBS station (KQED) website. It might be very time-consuming to use the shows to research ahead of time, but fun to look at later and see if you agree with the reviewers.

Have a great time, and DO take lots of layers of clothing. My relatives who live in SF (I am in Silicon Valley) enjoy going to Union Square and watching tourists in tank tops and white bermudas shiver in July. At noon. You will need hats/hoodies. It is windy. And cold.

Sara

• Gooster
    8 years ago

It's not an uncommon August sight to see a local in an overcoat next to a tourist in shorts and tanktop. Most times, a simple light to medium jacket will do you fine.

I understand the aversion to Italian, although there are Italian and French influences at the base of most California cuisine. There is quite a diversity of Asian cuisines represented. No longer just Cantonese or Chinese-American, there are over 20 different regional Chinese cuisines represented, and dedicated restaurants for everything from the aforementioned Burmese to Sri Lankan.

This being the OT offshoot of the Home Decorating Forum, it's worthwhile to note:
    * Heath Ceramics has a factory outlet in Sausalito
    * The design district is centered around Henry Adams starting south from Division (There is a roundabout). It's no longer (sadly) as expansive as it once was (buildings have been taken over by tech firms), and many of the showrooms/SF Design Center are to the trade only. However, you can go to places like Fireclay Tile.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Heath in Sausalito is very, very close to Fish. (That's how I got dh to go look for over stock tile at Heath--I bribed him with lunch at Fish). They also offer a factory tour--you must have closed toe shoes on and there are age restrictions, not sure of the 10 year old could go. The tour is lots of fun, but maybe not worth the time, especially with a ten year old in tow.

• terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

And never, ever call San Francisco "Frisco"! Frisco is the name of a city in Texas, not California.

I also cringe at Cali, Norcal and Socal.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

"Cali" makes me want to hurt people.

• withoutanh
    8 years ago

We got our BS tile at the Heath in Sausalito. Our cabinet maker (Alter-Eco) was right across the street; so convenient. That Heath store is an outlet and they sell good quality seconds of dinnerware, etc. as well as tile. They were all very nice to deal with (both businesses). This was 7-8 years ago, so things may be different now in what is offered.

Joanne Weir (Chez Panisse alum) has a Mexican restaurant, Copita, near there that has gotten good reviews. Too bad they weren't there when we were in the area more. We never seem to be in there at mealtime.

Sara

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Heath has it's orginal factory, where they still make pottery, in Sausalito. They also have a store that sells first quality pottery and tile (to order) and seconds of both as well. They also have an SF factory that makes their tile and sells pottery and tile to order as well. I like the Sausalito site better. Not much to interest a ten year old boy at either.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

Here's important info if you rent a car.
    Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge with a rental car.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

And here's another news story that may affect your trip, about Muir Woods. Have you considered a tour bus?

Seriously, check out Gray Line Tours (the most well-established) and combine a bunch of your activities in one tour. As someone mentioned, walking the Castro and the Haight isn't what it used to be, not by a long shot. A tour bus will show you a lot of the sights, faster and easier, than taking Muni. Gray Line Tours
    Muir Woods to start requiring reservations

• Debbie Lefkowitz
    8 years ago

Just adding a few suggestions, though I'll leave the restaurants to everyone else.

I would skip Fisherman's Wharf, seriously, you have limited time and almost anything else in SF is a better use of your time. It's all tourists, locals never go. It has nothing to do with today's city. Ghirardelli Square for ice cream, maybe, but there is much better ice cream elsewhere in the city, Bi Rite at 18th and Mission would be my suggestion if you love ice cream, will be a big hit with your nephew.

Yes to the Exploratorium amazing museum, for kids and adults. And the Ferry Building is fun for foodies. They also have decent ice cream.

Don't skip Golden Gate Park. Do skip Baker Beach. Unless it's a heat wave, and then go early. Or go to Ocean Beach, which is much bigger and has more parking.

The California Academy of Sciences in the Park is a world class Aquarium, great for a 10 year old boy and the adults with him. Go on a weekday, weekends are crazy. There is a children's playground in the Park that has these fun slides built into the hill side, great for kids of all ages. Though the rest of the playground is better for little kids. Also, on weekends the east end of the park is closed to cars. You can rent bikes, buggies or skates and ride around. Even in the fog it's really nice. There is a group of skaters that dance to music (on skates on Sundays I think. Fun to watch. Lately, tourists and locals seem to be renting little two seater electric cars and tooling around town. They look like fun though I don't know what the minimum age is.

I would ride a cable car. Touristy, but fun. Try and get on anywhere but Powell Street where you will wait an hour with all the other tourists.

I cannot emphasize enough how cold it can be in San Francisco in the summer. And this even after everyone else warned you already. I live in the Inner Sunset and sometimes we don't see the sun for weeks and it's not just grey, it's windy and cold. Bring layers, the temperature can shift over 20 degrees in a few miles. You might get lucky and arrive during one of our rare, three day max heat waves. But normally, it's nice downtown and cold out by the ocean. Ocean Beach is beautiful, but it's not a beach you go to get a tan, (see heat wave exception rule above).

The zoo is okay, but it's at the ocean, so can be cold. I'm not a fan of caged animals, so pardon my anti zoo bias.

The baseball park I believe is open to the public when the team is away. Kids can go play on the slides. And it's fun to see the park even when there is not a game. It's just a beautiful facility. You might check on their website for open days/hours.

If you want to go to "happening" neighborhoods in SF, then the Mission and Hayes Valley are the center of the young, hipster tech scene. You can also cross over the canal behind the Ballpark and check out the new city of mid-rise condos and apartments. It is possible to rent kayaks and kayak out in the Bay. Fun with kids for sure. And likely to be sunny, though windy.

Outside of SF. It's mostly warm and sunny, so there's that. Muir Woods is beautiful, but yes, leave very early, very early or you will not be able to park. Or go on a tour bus. You could also continue on to Stinson Beach after Muir Woods. It can also be foggy, but more likely to be sunny than in SF and it's a real beach for sure. Or you can go south of SF about an hour and a half to Santa Cruz. Great boardwalk, lots of rides and a real beach and it's warm more often than not.

The Alcatraz tour is definitely worth it. Another fun day event is to take the Ferry to Angel Island. You can rent bikes and ride around or just have a picnic and toss a ball or frisbee around. It's beautiful, with great views of Marin and SF and usually pretty warm.

If you are going to be in the East Bay, Alameda has nice and warm Bayside beaches.

Finally, you can just roam around the city and look at the endless amount of new construction all the tech money has brought. There are half finished buildings and torn up streets everywhere.

Oh and I would rent bikes or just walk across the GG Bridge. I did it recently on foot for the first time in years recently and it's just a beautiful, amazing experience. The Presidio is also looking very nice these days. I don't know about things for kids to do but there are lots of hiking trails and the path by the Bay is really pretty.

MagdalenaLee thanked Debbie Lefkowitz
  • MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Again, thank you everyone! I think we have our itinerary nailed down pretty well. Obviously there's a ton of stuff we won't get around to doing, but I'm betting I won't mind heading back a few more times. Really looking forward to this trip!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    8 years ago

Do not miss this very special charming delight. Memorable! Only 10-12 tables, so res. A must . One soufflé is enough for three. Sorry I'm late here...hope this isn't a repeat. Could just go for dessert.

Cafe JacquelineFrench north beach "Good things come to those who wait" insist Francophiles who "don't mind spending the entire evening" dining at this "romantic" soufflé specialty house in North Beach where "amazing" Madame Jacqueline herself is "still holding the fort" with "a whisk and copper bowl" whipping up the nightly offerings to order; never mind that "service varies", this experience is "something special."

Zagat reviews are compiled from individual user reviews.

Write a review for CafeJa 1454 Grant Avenue 415 981 5565

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

Are you home yet? Or are you still here?

How was it?

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Got in late on Thursday and spent the weekend recuperating from my vacation! Work is piled up to the ceiling but it was well worth the trip.

First of all, that city was ridiculously packed with tourists. Mostly from Europe. Seems like a popular destination for French, Japanese and Scandinavian tourists. The weather was way warmer than I thought it would be. I took sweaters for the evenings but all I needed was a light poncho. I stupidly got a sunburn too!

As for our itinerary, we did everything. We were out the door pretty early everyday and able to beat the crowds pretty much everywhere we went.

Saturday
    -Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market: Beautiful food everywhere! We had breakfast at Boulettes Larder - really fantastic food.

-Exploratorium Museum: Really neat place but we got there too late and the crowd was just too much. It was packed with unruly kids and rude parents and nephew isn't the pushy type so he didn't get to have very much "hands on" with all the cool exhibits. We did see a cow's eye dissection, so there's that!

-FW/Pier 39: Aquarium - really one of the better aquariums I've been. We were early so lots of the animals were active, especially the very cute Otters; RocketBoat Cruise - super silly and touristy but oh so much fun and got to see the sea lions while on the boat; lunch of chowder in a bread bowl at Boudin which was lame but I guess an iconic thing to get at FW.

-Chinatown - Didn't have dinner but walked through. Really dirty and don't need to go to another Chinatown ever.

-We were so tired we order takeout sushi (can't remember from where) in our hotel room. They have a service in SF that's much like Uber but for delivers. Worked great and sushi was good but average.

Sunday
    - Had breakfast at Waterfront Bakery around the corner from the bike rental place at FW. Very yummy French pastries at this cute little bakery. Maybe not the best choice for breakfast before a bike ride!

- The GGB bike ride was awesome! Again, started off early and beat the crowds. Sister and I had to walk our bikes up two very steep hills but nephew powered through the whole thing. Really, one of the easiest parts was on the bridge. Wind wasn't bad and all the bikers were very courteous. Sausalito is a fantastic little town. We parked out bikes (valet bike parking!) and walked around town, had the best burger ever at Napa Valley Burger, laid in the grass for awhile at a park by all the sail boats while nephew flew a kite. Took the ferry back to SF in late afternoon. I clocked the bike ride at around 10 miles. Getting off the Ferry at FW and riding back to the bike rental place was a little stressful because of the crowds and cars.

-Took a cable car from our hotel to Frascati on Hyde (Russian Hill) for dinner. Fantastic little neighborhood bistro.

Monday
    -Rented a car at the hotel (free upgrade to a Mercedes was nice) and drove to Muir Woods. We arrived around 8:30am and got a parking spot in the second parking lot. Had a decent breakfast at the cafe there and walked about two miles into the forest before nephew wanted to head back. Really beautiful and peaceful. So glad we left when we did. As we were getting closer to the entrance, the woods turned into a shopping mall - people everywhere with a din of voices. There were cars parked along the road for two miles!

- Drove to Point Bonita Lighthouse with the most spectacular views! Went to Rodeo Beach down the road where nephew got to fly his kite. Basically a very uncomfortable gravel beach. Wish we had thought to take a blanket.

- Headed back to SF and drove around the Castro, Haight-Ashbury (found an organic hot dog place that was just okay), the Tenderloin (yikes!), drove down the iconic hairpin turns on Lombard Street. Went to Baker Beach just before sunset. Nephew was happy to jump into the bone-chilling water! Returned our car about five blocks from the hotel. We walked back to the hotel UP THE HILL. No wonder there aren't that many people walking those hills.

Tuesday
    - Took a cable car to Union Square, had breakfast at Sears (very good hearty breakfast fare).

- Went to Alcatraz, what a wonderful experience. The audio tour is awesome and there was a former prisoner in the bookstore signing his book. The island is a bird sanctuary as well so it was really cool to see all the nests and fledglings.

- Got on a cable car at one of the manual turntables (nephew loved that!) near FW and went back to the hotel.

- Had dinner in the Mission District at Pica Pica, a Venezuelan arepa restaurant. Not amazing, but good. Walked around a bit and headed back.

Wednesday
    - Sister and nephew went to iFly in Union City. She said they were on the Oakland bridge in traffic for almost 45 minutes. I stayed at the hotel to take care of work.
    - Had dinner at Boulevard near the Ferry Building. Beautiful old building and the food was spectacular.

Thursday
    - Travel day. Checked out the hotel a little more (rooftop garden with beehives was a joke) and had a late breakfast. Laid around a bit and headed for the airport. Really nice airport! My sister's flight was an hour before mine so I had time to get a pedicure in the salon at the airport. One of the best pedicures I've ever had.

Notes:

-Cable cars are hard to get with all the tourists but I found a trick. Hold up a hand with fingers showing how many people are in your party. They'll pick you to jump on every time. Showing your City Pass helped too because then the operator knows they don't have to mess around with taking money and giving change.

- Our hotel sucked. Very expensive Fairmont Hotel wasn't even close to being worth it except the location was good - away from the crowds. The only good thing I can say is that the beds were very comfortable. Maid service was terrible, concierge service was non-existent, and our room was musty and smelled like smoke. They claimed they had no other rooms to switch us to and offered to bring a ionizer to the room which took them and hour to bring. Breakfast was mediocre at best.

That was way more detailed than I had intended! All in all, great vacation. Loved San Francisco but wouldn't want to live there!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Wow, Magdalena, you done good! Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. Welcome back.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

great thread!

thanks so much... planning to go out soon, so will definitely make some notes!!! :)

• Gooster
    8 years ago

Thanks for reporting back with such a fantastic report. It's great to see the city through the eyes of a visitor. Yes, there are a lot of European and Asian guests during the summertime -- and inordinately French. Last weekend in Union Square was a literal United Nations of people. It's not so bad to live-in once the tourists leave ;-) And if you ignore the price :( (Disclosure -- we have a part time rental on AirBnB and are amazed at the going rate)

• texanjana
    8 years ago

Great trip report! We are headed there again tomorrow. Can't wait to get out of this heat, 104 today.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!