SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

San Francisco, Sciabica, Suggestions-Barnmom, Sushipup, jkom and?

lsr2002
13 years ago

Max and Oliver and I are driving to San Francisco next weekend and will be there for a week.

We've rented an apartment in the Marina area. Max is taking a five day watercolor workshop with a fabulous artist who comes to the states several times a year to teach. Oliver and I are going to enjoy being city people. I have made contact with a doggie day care just a few blocks from the apartment so I can leave him on days when I will be away the entire day. For a few hours at a time I can just leave him in the apartment. We have two friends we will see, but our plans are totally open now.

Eileen, I sent an email to Sciabica hoping that there would be a store in SF where I could buy a can of their Exclusivo Wild Porcini sauce to try early in the week and then get more to take home. I got a really nice reply saying there were no stores that sell the sauces in SF but they would be happy to deliver an order to my SF address. Have you, or anyone, tried that sauce. I love that there is eggplant in it but would like some feedback before I commit to a case. He also suggested the Sevillano oil. Are there other oils,or items I should consider. I need to email him back tonight or tomorrow so I hope you see this soon! They would deliver this coming Tuesday before we arrive (to my friend's store) and then deliver a reorder the following week for me to take home.

jkom, I read your earlier post on California and am hoping you can suggest several specific Chinese restaurants in the Richmond. We love almost everything and when we went to China in the early 2000's we had a short note written in Mandarin saying that one of the people in our foursome was allergic to mollusks (not Max or me) and with that note in hand we ate at a number of restaurants where no one spoke English and had a fabulous time.

I have already found that there are almost 300 restaurants in SF with outside eating areas that are dog friendly. I would love some specific recommendations especially in or near the Marina. Small, ethnic, neighborhood restaurants would be great. Some nights we will cook in, some we will take Ollie and some we will leave him at the apt. He is perfectly behaved in public.

I know I will go to the Wok Shop in SF and IKEA in Berkeley (I need some additional slilicon covered utensils - especially their great wok stiring spoon-shovel thing, and maybe a large skillet for our new induction cooktop. We are finally getting an IKEA in Denver but it won't open until the end of 2011. Can someone recommend the BEST tea shop, especially for green teas? And other food or cooking equipment stores that I shouldn't miss. I can bring my CO retail license for any place that may be wholesale only.

Our Denver Art Museum sustaining membership has reciprocity with the Asian, de Young, and Legion of Honor Museums so I'll be checking their exhibits.

I'm somewhat familiar with SF because of the many business trips I have made there but would love your suggestions of things to do as a fancy free visitor, with or without dog.

And if anyone is free to meet for lunch, or dinner, I would love it!

Thanks for reading this l-o-n-g post and for your suggestions,

Lee

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living