SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedag

July: What are you reading?

friedag
8 years ago

I'll make this short just to get this month's thread started.

I finished A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre. What a peculiar man was Kim Philby! Why are rogues so interesting? I thought this study of friendship (that's what it is, rather than straight biography and history) was slow at the beginning, but the set-up was necessary for the non-expert on WWII and Cold War espionage to understand what really was going on with Philby, the man who has probably inspired more Soviet spy thrillers than any other real spy. John le Carre wrote the Afterword.

Comments (91)

• bigdogstwo
    8 years ago

Hi all,

Merry, I am interested to hear how your book club responded to The Year 1000. I read it a while ago and was glued to the pages.

RE: Erik Larson... my book club read both In the Garden of Beasts and Devil in the White City. On my own, I read Thunderstruck. Thunderstruck was the slowest go, but still very very interesting. He managed to tie together a murder and the discovery/implementation of radio wave technology. I thoroughly enjoy how he digs into these micro-histories and comes up with golden nugget books. I have not yet read Dead Wake but have picked it up twelve times in Costco.. so far. My book club had fabulous discussions with both Devil and Garden. Larson is a favorite author of mine.

I found a mystery at a used book shop called Borkmann's Point (an inspector Van Veeteren mystery) by Hakan Nesser. He is a Swedish author who is apparently quite popular in Scandinavian countries but a new author to me. I immediately fell into this mystery and ordered several other titles in the series. (The one I have is #2 in the series and we all know that will NEVER do... must get the first one asap.)

For book club, I have to read Beach Trip by Cathy Holton. As soon as I read the blurb, "break out the tissues" I, personally, broke into hives but will give it a shot because I love my book clubbies.

PAM

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Hi, BigDogs! I'm interested in any new mystery series. What is the premise of Borkmann's Point? Is it gory?

• Related Discussions

JULY! Fireworks, barbecues, beach reads....

Q

Comments (55)
    Been reading a mishmash of different titles at the moment, including A Sight for Sore Eyes by Baroness Ruth Rendell. I have no idea why I have not picked up more of her work as I am *adoring* this story and have a hard time putting it down to do other things. The characters are believable, they do believable things and make believable decisions. Rendell is, quite honestly, the best writer I have read for some time (in terms of sheer enjoyability). Along with that, I am reading Dave Cullen's NF book about the Columbine shooting. I had ordered this weeks ago on ILL and it just arrived last Wed so it was a strange coincidence that I am reading this title when the awful shooting happened in Aurora (only 17 miles from Columbine). Cullen is a seasoned reporter and has covered the Columbine incident since Day One. It's a compelling read and it mostly focuses on how facts get twisted through media repetition and word of mouth based on that inaccuracy. It's not slamming any one media outlet in particular - just an well-informed observation of how a story can evolve despite the facts being known. Quite curious and I would not be surprised if something similar happened with the Aurora shooting. And then along these, I am also reading the original Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (1906). What a twisted tale this is and very different from the sanitized Disney version! Tinker Bell is mean and spiteful, there are daily grisly murders in Neverland, and no one has enough food. Peter is also a bully, and don't mention the psychological issues of the Lost Boys with Wendy...! Fascinating read though.
    ...See More

July, A Month of Heat, Barbecue, & Beach. What You Reading?

Q

Comments (91)
    AnnPann - I have read that book Go the F*** to Sleep, and laughed out loud about it. It seems to sum up the desperation that new parents may feel when their lovely little darling won't sleep... However, I read an interesting article that asked if the book would have been so funny if it had been written by a mother/woman. Would people still think it was funny if the mum had written it or would she (the author) be considered whiny? Quite interesting to think about, really. It seems that a lot of new fathers in this day and age are patted on the back for being "involved" and taking their kids to the grocery store, when, in fact, this is an everyday occurrence for many of the mothers. Just an interesting point to think about. I still liked the book tho.
    ...See More

What are you reading in July?

Q

Comments (76)
    sheilaaus122 - While I was struggling with the first chapter of The Sound and the Fury I did look online to find out just what the hell I was reading. That definitely helped. It was still a challenge but once I understood who the characters were it all made much more sense. I suppose a "real reader" would just plow through and try to figure it out themselves. I didn't mind my cheat and I think it also explains, in part at least, why the book was not well received when published but praised later. Finish the book. You are so close. I have no plans to read anything else by Faulkner. ;-) BTW - When I showed DH what I was reading his reaction was: "The only good thing I can say about Faulkner is that it's not Dickens." haha He's right. Sort of. I'd certainly pick up another Faulkner before anything by Dickens.
    ...See More

What are we reading in July?

Q

Comments (75)
    At Swm Two Boys, It may be a bit of a challenge, because it is so Irish lol. Very lyrical. It took me a bit t get into it but it is one of my most favorite books. And of course, Angela's Ashes. I read that one in a day. Completely enveloped me. That was my father and mothers Ireland. My dad says he could never read it, that McCourt should never have written it, it was a very "disrespectful" book. I said well at least he waited till after his mother had died. My dad said, doesn't matter. Us irish are good at being totally in denial lol. Roddy Doyle is another writer that my sister and I enjoy.
    ...See More
  • michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Vee - what a great story about your grandfather!

• bigdogstwo
    8 years ago

Hi Michelle,

I would say it is more psychological. It is not gory and graphic, nor is it a "cozy", but the facts are told in a forthright manner. I finished it just a short while ago and found it engaged me to the last page. There seem to be quite a few titles in the series, perhaps as many as a dozen. He began the series in the 1990's, but was just more recently translated into English.

The main character is DCI Van Veeteren. He seems to be between mid-fifties to early sixties. I have only read one book in the series, and that one being the second installment. So my background on him is sketchy. Single (divorced), a keen observer, thoughtful, somewhat of an introvert - a kind of Sherlock Holmes in a battered Opel.

PAM

• carolyn_ky
    8 years ago

I finished Girl on the Train last night, and I can't think what to say about it. It was sort of like a train wreck itself--depressing and fascinating at the same time. The only part I liked about it was the ending--a little patch of blue.

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Hi Pam/BigDogs!

Thanks for the description. I'll try to pick it up!

Michelle

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Hi, all! I'm going to go out on a limb here.

I'm actually publishing a book next April through She Writes Press entitled A Girl Like You. I'm calling it a historical mystery, and it's the first in a series. It's set in 1930's Chicago. Right now, the publisher is asking for comparative titles to put into their sales kit, so I have been struggling the last few months to narrow it down. Of all the forums I'm on, you guys are by far the most well read and diverse, so I'm going to ask you for your help. Do any of you know of a historical series that is sort of a cozy mystery - but with a bit more spice - in which the characters develop over time? It's part romance and part mystery, if truth be told. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton!

Oh, yes, and any title I list cannot be more than five years old. So, basically, a series that is still being produced or one which ended in the last five years.

• annpanagain
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Congratulations, Michelle.
    I am not quite sure of what you are looking for. I wouldn't call a story set in the 1930s as "historical" more "vintage" perhaps.
    A series I enjoy would be the "Phryne Fisher" mysteries by Kerry Greenwood, set in Melbourne Australia in the 1920s. Would that serve your purpose?

• bookmom41
    8 years ago

Michelle, try looking at some of the Goodreads lists on Listopia. I thought of Alan Bradley's Flavia DeLuce series, but there isn't any "spice" to those (especially since the "detective" starts out at something like 11 yrs old), or Simone St. James' books, which are post WWI supernatural historical mysteries with mildly spicy romance, but each book is a stand-alone.

I am in the middle of a book which I love: Amy Stewart's Girl Waits with Gun. It's about 3 impecunious sisters living outside Paterson NJ on a farm in 1915. One day they head to town and their buggy collides with a automobile driven by a thuggish silk mill owner. The eldest sister presents the driver with a bill of damages and now the sisters are in danger. This is historical fiction based the true story of Constance Kopp and her sisters; Constance was one of the first deputy sheriffs in the United States. The writing is dry and witty and reminds me of I Capture the Castle. The author's website has curiosity-satisfying bios about the players in the book and (and this really appeals to me) a cocktail she made up based on ingredients available at the time.

PAM, thanks for reminding me about the DCI Van Veeteren books; I enjoy those and haven't checked for any new ones lately.

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

I recently finished an autobiography of Kate Hepburn, which I found well-written and lively. Now, I am re-reading an old favorite: "Silence Will Speak" by Erol Tryzblinski. It's the story of Bror Blixen, Berkely Cole, Isak Dinesen and Denys Finch Hatton, and their lives in colonial British East Africa.

• sheri_z6
    8 years ago

I finally finished The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. It's the story of the University of Washington rowing crew and their gold-medal win at the 1936 Olympics. Even knowing they won the medals going in, the story is fascinating and the descriptions of the races are exciting. I learned a lot about racing and boat building, too. Even more interesting to me, there is actual movie footage (courtesy of Nazi filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl) of the American team available on YouTube that brought everything we read to life. My book group loved it and I thought it was terrific.

I'm now reading a bunch of light-weight romances and a couple of home organizing books, which tends to be my usual summer fare, along with the second book of The Wheel of Time series. Larsen's Dead Wake is definitely on my list for the fall.

• kathy_t
    8 years ago

Sheri - I agree all of your comments about The Boys in the Boat. Loved it.

• reader_in_transit
    8 years ago

Finished Lillian on Life by Alison Jean Lester last week but I've been AFK, so report now. It is told in the first person by a middle aged unmarried woman, who was young in the 1960's. I liked her voice and it has some great lines, which I will not quote to do not ruin for others the pleasure of finding them. It is an easy read, entertaining, with some good insights into life and being a woman. However, she didn't seem to be complete unless she had a man in her life, no, in her bed. That may be a reflection of those times...

Lillian is originally from Columbia, Missouri (hello Kathy_t!), but soon moves to Europe where she spends years, and then moves to NYC. The locations do not figure much in the story, it could have happened anywhere.

This book definitely would have benefitted from a better cover. I always think of Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos , which was a good book, but the cover photo (below) was so eye-catching that I am sure it had to do with the book's success. Same thing with Astrid & Veronika by Linda Olsson (below too). It doesn't have to be beautiful photo, but interesting. Poor Lillian on Life, IMO has this completely boring cover (above) that makes the book so easy to miss.

What do you guys think?

• Kath
    8 years ago

Yes, that cover makes it look like someone's memoir or life advice. It wouldn't inspire me to pick the book up at all.

One of my funniest book shop employee tales is the man who came in and asked for The French Suitcase. I've always been quite proud of being able to sell him this:

• reader_in_transit
    8 years ago

What a funny story, Kath! And how observant of you.

As a bookseller, have you observed any relationship between the cover and how a book sells?

• kathy_t
    8 years ago

reader-in-transit - I agree that the cover of Lillian on Life seems an oddity in today's world. I wonder if perhaps it was self-published, with no funds allotted for marketing? Thanks for mentioning the Columbia, MO connection. It will be fun to tell my bookish friends about that. And last - I had to look up AFK. I'm not very "with it" sometimes.

• reader_in_transit
    8 years ago

Sorry, I should have explained: AFK = away from keyboard.

The book was published by G. P. Putnam's Sons, and there was the name of the person who designed the cover. I wonder how much do they have to pay for a photo for a cover. On the other hand, those 8-figure drawings on the cover were attributed to someone, but maybe it cost less than a photo. Or maybe they thought this cover they used was great... I remember reading that authors don't have any say in the cover choice. I wonder what the author of Lillian on Life thinks of the cover...

Years ago, someone on the Seattle Weekly made fun of the cover on Three Junes by Julia Glass, and said that he would never read the book because of the cover (it was one of the covers, not the most common one, and it didn't go with the book). Obviously Lillian's cover didn't stop me, but how many other readers can get past a cover?

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Ann and Bookmom - Thanks for your suggestions! I do think the Phryne Fisher series is a good match. I've also been told to look on a site called Library Thing, which has been really helpful. I would agree, Ann, that the 1930's is not really that "historical," but I am forced to fit myself into pre-established categories, which, believe it or not, are set by the distributors, not necessarily the publishers! I have enjoyed reading the above comments about covers. Yes, covers do sell books, or so I've been told! And it's true that when you publish with the Big 5, you have zero control of the cover or any of the content, really, once you sign on the dotted line. I am happy to have discovered SheWrites Press, which is an indie press, which allows it's authors complete control! I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, Girl Waits With Gun sounds intriguing!

• annpanagain
    8 years ago

Michelle, I am so pleased that I have been of some help to you.

As I mentioned, I don't quite understand what the sales kit means. Could you give me a simple example or explanation?

It seems that there are a lot of hurdles getting a book published and just as importantly, promoted! Good luck...

• vee_new
    8 years ago

Just sent back to the library Memories by Lucy M Boston, the writer of the well-known series of books The Children of Green Knowe .

The book is made up of two parts, The first is her strict, colourless upbringing in a strict Wesleyan family in the NW of England. A gloomy house and servants, a dull mother and odd maiden aunts. No flowers in the garden, no friends to play with . . . the family were too grand to 'mix' with other Wesleyans who were all 'in trade'. Trips away in the summer to the Lake District were her only 'release'.

The second part of the book came out later and deals with the history of her ancient house at Hemingford Grey near Cambridge. Lucy bought it in the late '30's not entirely realising its great age and architectural importance. It is one of the few remaining Norman domestic buildings in England dating back to eleven something!

She spent years on doing it up and remodelling the garden and although she died in the 1990's aged almost 100 years, her family still open it to the public. Popular with many American visitors. Her books are based on the house and the characters/ghosts etc that may have dwelt therein.

• lemonhead101
    8 years ago

Good afternoon all -

I've been AFK (thanks for the acronym, RIT!) having a mix of vacation on a sunny beach in Mexico, and then a few days in a very cold AC'd Hilton in Dallas at a writing conference. The writing conference was fab - called the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference, and I felt that I was surrounded by giants of journalists/writers and senior editors from the New York Times, WaPo, Wall Street Journal, and other major outlets. Fascinating to learn to break down and deconstruct some of the lit NF that I've been reading. (I need to break the essays etc. into pieces to see how the author constructed them...)

Had talks by Anne Fadiman (Ex Libris, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down etc.) and Barbara Ehreinrich (Nickeled and Dimed... rather grumpy and crochety but I think that's her public persona), and so many others. Highly recommend it for anyone interested in reading or writing such material. (Lovely to hang out with others of the same ilk as well.)

All to say, that I've been reading but jumping from one title to another like a butterfly with my titles: Aurora Floyd by Mary Elizabeth Bradden (Victorian sensation novel comparable to Wilkie), a Mary Hocking novel about someone having a nervous breakdown (not easy reading), and David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell (NF).

• carolyn_ky
    8 years ago

I have finally finished the Chaucer book and picked up the new Jeanne M. Dams from the library today. Hers are cozies set in an English cathedral city (with most speculation being Salisbury). The heroine is a retired American school teacher who moved to England and was courted by and now married to a detective. She helps solve his cases in spite of him.

Chaucer was interesting but in small doses.

• bigdogstwo
    8 years ago

CarolynKY,

Glad you read the Chaucer book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope that you did as well.

PAM

• msmeow
    8 years ago

I'm trying to read The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel but I'm having trouble getting interested in it. Does anyone know if the pace picks up once the folks move to the hotel? I figure I'm about one chapter away from giving up on it.

Donna

• sheri_z6
    8 years ago

I've just started A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. I haven't read anything by her in ages, and I'm happily remembering why I liked her so much! Her quirky families are a pleasure to read about, and I'm delighted I found this at the library.

• annpanagain
    8 years ago

Donna...I read the book a long time ago from a magazine recommendation, I think, when it had a different title "These Foolish Things" and I read it all so it probably gets more interesting later.

I don't think the film followed the book closely.

• msmeow
    8 years ago

Thanks Anna. I haven't seen the movie, either. I'll stick with it a little longer.

• yoyobon_gw
    8 years ago

THE LITTLE PARIS BOOKSHOP by Nina George

Monsieur Perdu calls himself a literary apothecary. From his floating bookstore in a barge on the Seine, he prescribes novels for the hardships of life. Using his intuitive feel for the exact book a reader needs, Perdu mends broken hearts and souls. The only person he can't seem to heal through literature is himself; he's still haunted by heartbreak after his great love disappeared. She left him with only a letter, which he has never opened.

After Perdu is finally tempted to read the letter, he hauls anchor and departs on a mission to the south of France, hoping to make peace with his loss and discover the end of the story. Joined by a bestselling but blocked author and a lovelorn Italian chef, Perdu travels along the country’s rivers, dispensing his wisdom and his books, showing that the literary world can take the human soul on a journey to heal itself.

Internationally bestselling and filled with warmth and adventure, The Little Paris Bookshop is a love letter to books, meant for anyone who believes in the power of stories to shape people's lives.

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

Carolyn, I tried to read the Chaucer book, but I got bogged down early on and did not finish. Something about the style was off-putting to me.

I just re-read an old favorite: Alan Paton's "Too Late the Phalarope" about Apartheid in South Africa. Rather dated now, but I think it is a classic.

• vee_new
    8 years ago

I very much enjoyed an excellent read, Kate Atkinson's A God in Ruins.

The title is taken from a quotation from Emerson (thank you google) and refers to the 'hero' of the story Teddy Todd, who first appeared in KA's previous work 'Life After Life' as the younger brother of Ursula who's life was told in a series of 'what if's'.

Largely centred round WWII with Teddy a bomber pilot in the RAF, a picture is built up of his former and later life, his marriage, his ghastly 'hippie' daughter and her two neglected children. It is through Teddy's essential goodness, his love of Nature and a quiet life that, by the end of the story . . . and his life, some hope for those remaining shines through.

This is a book that requires concentration, not easy when the library only gave me a couple of weeks in which to read it (it's in great demand) but absolutely worth the effort.

• annpanagain
    8 years ago

I rarely need to keep a library book longer than the allotted three weeks but as I received some requested books in a series out of order, I only had a couple of days to finish the last one which was due back first. I dislike having to cram and a vision problem won't allow me to read for too long a period anyway. I managed to get an extension after a bit of persuasion as the book in question came from a different library.

Having said that I don't read P&P followups, I have actually read and enjoyed "The Matters at Mansfield" by Carrie Bebris. I came across her Mr and Mrs Darcy series in a mystery newsletter and decided to try the latest but it wasn't available so took this one.

The author uses characters from several JA books and here has done impressive research about 19thC firearms. The only possible fault I noticed was calling earrings "earbobs" which is a word more used in some states of the USA, I read. Otherwise a good and intriguing period set story.

• Kath
    8 years ago

Vee, I very much enjoyed Life After Life, but was a bit hesitant about the follow up as it has had mixed reviews. I may well try it on your recommendation.

• vee_new
    8 years ago

kath, I think I preferred A God in Ruins as there was/is just one story-line to concentrate on and Teddy was such a genuinely 'good' character . . . a change from all the usual dysfunctional types with which modern fiction is peppered.

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Just finished Murder and Mendelssohn by Kerry Greenwood. It is her latest in the Phyrne Fisher series. I haven't read any others, but I have seen the TV series, so I know the characters. Like the TV show, it is enjoyable enough to spend the time with. I was surprised by the rather elaborate sex scenes as this series sometimes shows up on the lists of cozies, further baffling me!

I've also been AFK for awhile, so I have to list all my notes in one post. Sorry!

Vee - Memories sounds good but heavy. Is it? And I've heard a lot of good things about Kate Atkinson lately, so I just might pick up A God in Ruins.

Lemonhead - haven't heard of Aurora Floyd? How does it compare/hold up to Wilkie, as you mentioned?

Donna - didn't read marigold Hotel, but enjoyed the movie. I can see from other comments here, though, that it is different than the book, so I'm no help!

Yoyobon - The Little Paris Bookshop sounds delightful, but I'm not sure I could endure the protagonist not opening the letter! Sounds too painful.

Ann - Thanks for your interest in my book! The "sales kit" is the material that the distributor (Ingram is the US) passes out to its sales force to take into bookstores or book outlets. They have what's called a "tip sheet" on all of the books they are pushing, which includes a short description of the book, author bio and stats, category, key words, audience, sales hook and marketing plan. It also lists comparative titles so that they can walk in and say (using my book as an example) "Here's A Girl Like You. It's historical fiction similar to Kerry Greenwood, Lauren Willig, Charles Tood, Tasha Alexander, etc...." so that the bookstore buyers don't have to think about it too much or where to place it. Hence my struggle to find out exactly where mine fits. I'm reading The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig right now and loving it!

Happy reading all!

• carolyn_ky
    8 years ago

I'm reading The Ways of the World by Robert Goddard. It is set at the Peace Conference in Paris following the end of WWI and is a mystery where the main character's English diplomat father has died mysteriously and the Paris police don't want to know. I've read about a fourth of it, and it's quite good.

The only other Goddard book I have read is Past Caring. I bought it in paperback at Waterstone's in London a long time ago, mostly for its evocative cover, and it wasn't very good. I see from the listing in the front of this book that it was his first book of many, so I guess I'll be adding to my long list of TBRs.

• sheri_z6
    8 years ago

I finished A Spool of Blue Thread, and as much as I enjoyed her writing and the various stories of the family at its center, I think I missed the "big picture" that tied the whole thing together. I kept waiting for more to be explained, but still felt like I was left hanging at the very end, particularly regarding the prodigal son, Denny's, life. Still, it was an enjoyable read with some lovely turns of phrase and family insights.

Vee, I'm happy to hear you speak so highly of A God in Ruins, I've been debating over that one and now it will definitely go on my library list.

• vee_new
    8 years ago

Sheri, re 'Blue Thread' I have noticed that Anne Tyler seldom gives us a nice neat finish, doesn't tie up loose ends or give characters their just deserts. I'm sure she is a good enough writer to do this if she wanted to, so think it must be because that is how 'life' really is. Situations, especially within the family, just go 'on'; some issues are resolved many are not.

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

I'm now engrossed in an older novel about historic Charleston, where I live. Robert Malloy's "Pride's Way" is certainly non PC, as it was written in the 1940's about city life in the early 1900's. I am enjoying the vivid descriptions of the older neighborhoods where I am able to walk even now. Malloy is great with architectural details and local cuisine and the French Huguenot culture that made up a large part of the city's early settlers. It was loaned by a friend who grew up in Charleston, and I am sure by now it is OP.

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

I'm now reading an old classic: "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine" by John Fox. It's set in parts of KY and western VA back in the day, when coal was just beginning to be big. It also deals with the feuds between families in the mountains and the special folkways and cultures of that part of Appalachia. Carolyn, have you read this?

• sherwood38
    8 years ago

I don't post often as I seem to be too busy reading!

I recently finished The English Spy, the latest by Daniel Silva and just loved it, he seems to get better with each book. After I was finished with it I pondered on who would play Gabriel Allon in a movie or series and couldn't think of one actor that would do the part justice!

I remember quite a few years ago when The Outlander series was very popular we had a lengthy discussion on who should play Clare & (can't think of the male off the top-sorry) I must admit that I didn't think much of the actors chosen to play them and so haven't watched it.

I am currently reading The Bullet by Mary Louise Kelly an interesting mystery.

Pat

• carolyn_ky
    8 years ago

Mary, yes I have read The Trail of the Lonesome Pine. I went to a small rural high school in 1948 when the "good times" after World War II hadn't reached us yet, so I read and re-read the books I liked best in the school library. That was one of them.

It is (or was) also a live outdoor stage production in Big Stone Gap, Virginia. We saw it performed once.

I returned last week's library books and picked up some different ones. I am ready to start the fifth in the Martin Edward mystery series set in the Lake District.

• Kath
    8 years ago

Pat, the male lead in Outlander is Sam Heughan, and he does make a very good Jamie. His acting is wonderful. The woman playing Claire is also very good but not as good a visual match for Claire as described in the books.

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

I really am fascinated by the rural mountain life in "Trail of the Lonesome Pine." I don't know why Fox is not read as a "classic" today. It depicts an important part of real American history, with the clash of cultures when those from the North came into Appalachia and bought up the land for cheap for exploitation and changed the way of life forever. Maybe I find it so interesting because for a time I lived in West Virginia, where it was still going on (strip mining, deforestation, ruination of beautiful landscapes, company towns, etc.) In this novel Fox even mentions the "fairystones" found in a certain part of Western Virginia. I recall going to "Fairystone Park" decades ago and finding these crosses. His detail is amazing, in 1908.

• msmeow
    8 years ago

I'm reading "The Lost Tomb" by David Gibbins. I haven't read any of his before; I'm enjoying it a lot. I like stories that switch between past & present and tie them together.

I love the Outlander books!

Donna

• sherwood38
    8 years ago

Astrokath, I am not familiar with the actors in The Outlander and I wasn't criticizing their acting, but as you say-the visual appearance. It was years ago so I don't remember who we thought would be good in those parts-anyone remember? To me it is similar to imagining Tom Cruise as Reacher-couldn't bring myself to watch that movie.

I am now reading The Edge of Shadows by Elizabeth George. I have been waiting for it from the library in the series taking place on Whidbey Island and finally got it. The reviews on Amazon were not that great, but I love Whidbey Island and wanted to read the book regardless.

Pat

• vee_new
    8 years ago

Pat I read The Edge of Nowhere (the first in the series)by Elizabeth George a few months ago and was rather underwhelmed by the story which was very much aimed at a 'US teen' market and made me feel very old and English. On the other hand I felt I could be put down anywhere on Whidbey Island and be able to find my way round without a map; the descriptions were very detailed.

I've just finished A Week in Winter by Marcia Willet (not to be confused by a book of the same name by Maeve Binchy that has just come out) This was an OK read for a few days. Set in Devonshire/Cornwall with the usual middle-class characters suffering from guilt, hidden secrets, lost love etc. with some nice descriptions of the countryside.

As the characters spent almost every page drinking tea or coffee and one of them was called Polly, I felt a better title would have been 'Shall I Put the Kettle On?'

• reader_in_transit
    8 years ago

Is this place mentioned/described in The Edge of Nowhere or The Edge of Shadows? It is one of the most scenic places on Whidbey Island.

This is the view before you get to it.

This is the view from it once you have climbed to the top.

If not identified by The Edge of Nowhere/Shadows readers, the name of the place will be revealed in the next post.

• carolyn_ky
    8 years ago

Beautiful pictures, RIT.

Actually, there are three Whidby Island books so far: The Edge of Nowhere, The Edge of Water, and The Edge of Shadows. They are, indeed, YA books, but I have enjoyed all of them.

• blue_jean_baby
    8 years ago

I read The Minpins by Roald Dahl based in someone at RP's comment about having a favorite quote. Can't find who it was, but I enjoyed the book(thank you !!) and added the last 2 lines to my quote collection.

Also Leonard Nimoy's I Am Spock. He was so much more than Spock, I had no idea he had done so much stage work etc.

• reader_in_transit
    8 years ago

Blue_Jean_Baby,

It was me who did the comment below in the May Monthly Reading Thread:

Got from the library and read today The Minpins, a children's story by Roald Dahl. I had never read it. Loved the illustrations by Patrick Benson. However, the main reason to read it was that I learned from another blog that a favorite quote of mine is from this book:

"And above all look with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

Those 2 lines are in my quote collection too. Glad you liked it!