SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rose_white4114

Saving Dracaena dremensis

Rose Beyaz
8 years ago

I am trying to save a stalk of D. dremensis from what seems to be certain death. The main plant's main stalk went mushy and bent over (probably due to complications from over-watering) 2 weeks ago, so I felt along the stalk to find a healthy, rigid portion of the plant and cut from here (using a pair of sharp scissors). I then placed this cut portion of the stalk (thinking it would root easily similar to D. sanderiana/braunii) into a jar of aquarium water (as it is free of chlorine) and placed the whole setup in a morning sun receiving portion of my balcony.

My problems are now two-fold: first of all, the plant has not rooted in 2 weeks and the cut region has turned slightly brown (though not mushy) and secondly some of the large leaves on the stalk have turned brown and dry or have brown and dry spots on them (mostly older leaves, but also some new growth also has small brown dry spots).

My guess for the second issue is that the morning sun did it no good and the leaves got scorched, though it could also be a watering issue causing rupturing of cell walls in the plant's leaves; so I am not sure.

Anyway, I would appreciate your opinions as to the causes of my two problems and more importantly on solutions to saving this plant.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus