SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessecake

Help save my Dracaena Corn plant!

jessecake
13 years ago

I am hoping someone will have the time to help me with my Dracaena plant. This is my favorite plant I've ever had!

I got it just under five ago, it was knee high. Now it stands over 6 feet tall.

I live in Colorado, I have the plant placed on the side of a south-facing bay window. My pot doesn't have water drainage in the bottom, so I placed about four inches of rocks at the bottom of the container. I used to water it once a month and it did well for years. Just over six months ago I left the state for a family emergency and my husband didn't take care of the plant and I came home to a mostly brown dying plant. I had to remove so many leaves and was very disappointed. But thankfully it turned around and was looking nice again for a few months.

About a month ago I noticed the leaves turning yellow in spots, then turning brown and dying in those spots. I realized that I had probably been watering it a couple times a month which is more than normal for me. When I dig my hand into the soil it still feels damp about four inches down. So I haven't watered it in weeks but the plant is still looking worse and worse every day.

I also must mention that last week my plant has grown a blossom! It has never done this before.

So far what was suggested to me:

I was told it has possible sun burn but the side of the plant NOT near the window has leave damage, while you'll notice in the images that the plant with the blossom doesn't have any damage - and is the closest plant stalk to the window.

I was told that I have been watering it too much for winter and that is why I haven't watered it in over two weeks now, but it is still turning yellow and leaves are dying.

I was told that I should only use spring water to water it. I can try this but I don't understand why now it is an issue after five years of using tap water (though I should add that my house has a water Refinement kit, which I think I add potassium tabs to - not salt tabs). This kit is not new.

Which brings me onto another topic. When I make eggs at home I put the shells (only) into a container with water and that is what I use most of the time to water the plant. But again, I have been using this egg-shell water for about five years. Sometimes I use plain water with no egg shells.

I have tried to dig my hand as far down into the pot as possible to see if the roots feel rotten, but when I do this the roots are in the way and I have torn a couple so I do not want to harm the plant more.

This is my favorite plant I have ever had. I don't want to lose it and it really upsets me the condition I have let it get to. Please help me if you have time.

If you need more images or have any further questions please ask!

{{gwi:74367}}

{{gwi:74368}}

{{gwi:74369}}

{{gwi:74370}}

Comments (8)