SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

My Rose jungle is infested with Trumpet Vine

Pyewacket
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So I have these 3 ginormouse rose bushes (plus one smaller yellow rose) that are all clumped together in a cement "raised bed" attached to the patio. I've no idea what they are, they were here when I got here. They are scented, but not heavily. At least ONE of them is scented, I'm not actually sure they all 3 are scented.

The issue - or one issue at least - is that the neighbor's trumpet vine is growing up in the middle of these rose bushes. It is the only place it survives in the yard, as it gets ruthlessly rooted out everywhere else. We can't reach it in there as the overgrown rose bushes protect it with their thorny thorns.

Day before yesterday I got fed up with the rose bush situation and just grabbed whatever I could reach and started jerking trumpet vine out. I ended up with a pile of trumpet vine and a big empty patch in the middle of the red rose.

Bare patch - see some more trumpet vine down in there?

I can't reach much of the remaining trumpet vine due to the thorns. Plus my advanced state of decrepitude does not lend itself to wriggling under rose thorns to get at the trumpet vine - or anything else down there.

These rose bushes are up to 8' tall. They are VERY overgrown. They are clearly NOT delicate tea roses. If it weren't for the trumpet vine, I'd let them continue in their state of neglect, as it obviously hasn't hurt them any so far. Its not that I can't think of ANY solutions - a flamethrower comes to mind - its just that I can't think of any solutions that wouldn't upset my landlady.

Rotating around the clump clockwise from the bare patch. The yellow roses in front have not grown up into the other 3 bushes, which are Red, then Pink, then a purple bush that did not flower in clumps like the red and pinks do.

The purple bush is blown ...

And has some very VERY old canes ...

Here's what the blooms look like on the pink and red bushes, the pinks are pretty much spent and the reds aren't far behind.

For all that I pulled a wheelbarrow load of vines off, there are plenty more that I missed, plus the stuff I can't get to down inside the bushes

It's July, in the hot arid High Sierras Desert. There are some very very old, very thick canes involved here. When can I prune these back, and how severely? I feel the need to murder some more trumpet vine and I can't reach most of it.

Comments (19)