SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Eradicating Trumpet vine

laceyvail 6A, WV
17 years ago

This is the most intractable problem I have ever faced in gardening. I have been clearing and landscaping my yard out in the country and working towards a corner where there is a huge multistemmed trumpet vine intertwined with multiflora rose and poison ivy. It's been there many, many years. The soil is sandy and there are huge rocks in that corner.

This year I have finally started working into the mess. The multiflora rose is easy to remove and so is the poison ivy. I have been using a great product called Vine-X that comes in a bottle with an applicator brush. But the trumpet vine!!! With great difficulty I have been applying the Vine-X all season, twisting myself into contortions to reach as much of the thicker stems as I can as I make my way into the interior and trying to get the stems near the base. And I'm trying to attack it from all sides, though some are much more difficult than others to reach. But what's happening is that, like the many headed Hydra of Greek mythology, the more I apply and kill one stem, the more new roots seem to shoot out into long cleared areas and produce new shoots. These shoots are small and if I hit them with the Vine-X, they die, but they don't carry the poison very far into the root.

I spoke with the Vine-X people today, and while they assured me I had the best product on the market (and I do believe them), that trumpet vines have proven pretty much unbeatable unless you can dig out all the roots--a nearly impossible task for this 61 year old woman who, though hard working for long hours in the garden, just can't undertake something like that.

Has anyone out there any real advice? I can't even give up the project of clearing the corner now because the vine has started to come into the previously cleared and planted areas. It seems as if I can't stop and I can't go forward.

Is this going to be like the war on terror? A rest of my life project that I can't win but can't stop fighting either?

Comments (10)