SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_mark_hewitt

Balancing harvesting versus maturing a fruit for seed on zuchinni

mr_mark_hewitt
8 years ago

Hi,

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but googling throws out millions of results about how to scrape out a zuchinni and basic seed saving, but none regarding the timing of it (when not "how long" to leave on the plant!!) and the result on production.

What I have is a couple of seeds of a round zuchinni variety, so what I want to do is to grow them out, and obviously save seeds, but I would also like to eat some. Ideally of course I want to save from that produces the most and over the longest period (though in this case I would save one from every plant given the small population, but it relates to the question)

Now what I am trying to understand is how does one balance this out, keeping the plant producing whilst also letting a fruit mature. Googling seems to come back with responses ranging from letting a fruit mature will slow production (but keep producing) through to you must remove all other flowers and let only that one fruit ever grow on the plant!

What will happen in reality once I start to let a fruit mature? How does one best handle this?

Also, related to this, ideally one wants to save seed from plant the produces best over longest period, but, if maturing a first fruit stops/slows production, this will render that impossible (how would we know if this would have been a good plant); and if one waits to the end you never know when that will be, so by the time you figure out the plant is done, its too late as there are no more flowers to mature a fruit from!! I can't seem to get it right in my head how one would do that?

Many thanks in advance for you insight!
Mark

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider
More Discussions