SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Need help with heat ventilation in TV component closet

plan2remodel
8 years ago

As part of our home renovation, we had our TV components moved into a closet. It never really bothered me to have all those wires and cables cluttering up the family room - at least I knew where everything was connected. And after transitioning from a wooden entertainment center to a long glass table to support a TV on a stand, it was simple to connect and reconnect components.

Anyway, I'm clueless now how to actually turn on our one and only TV set, which is now sitting in a brand new, built-in entertainment center. But to make matters worse ...

There's a ton of heat being generated by the receiver and my teen son's game console that are sitting in the closet. So, I keep opening the closet, well, technically, it doesn't look like a closet. My cabinet designer decided it would work better as a cabinet that pulls out of the wall instead of having a door that swings opens likes a normal closet. So, there's this full-size drawer, pulled half-way out into the hallway to dissipate the heat.

So, what I can do about the heat in the closet? Is it the particular components that we have? The Yamaha receiver is brand new, recommended and purchased through our low-voltage guy.

I don't want to put fans in the closet. The noise would drive me crazy. But is that the only solution? There are no air vents in the closet door / drawer. Since it's not actually a closet, I don't see a way of converting it to a louvered door. But maybe my cabinet guy needs to redesign the whole thing and make it a louvered door?

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions