SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tccsp11

Need help planning ventilation in bathrooms

housebuilding126
8 years ago

Our HVAC contractor wants to just install basic 80 cfm fans in all of our bathrooms (new construction). After years of dealing with mold and mildew in our current home due to poor ventilation, I am not happy with this plan. We have 3 bathrooms that we are trying to plan ventilation for:

1. Our master bath will have a doorless shower (I have heard many opinions about that, but we are staying with doorless and can always add a door if needed). We will also have a soaking tub and the closet will be off of the bathroom. I would rather have overkill on the ventilation in this room, especially because of the closet. Here is a floor plan:

It is about 180 sq ft with the closet. I am thinking two fans would be necessary in this space. I am also thinking a heater might be nice in shower area. Both windows in this space open, but we are in an area where it is very cold in the late fall/winter/early spring. Any suggestions?

2. The next bathroom is a Jack and Jill with doored area to a shower/tub combo with shower curtain and toilet. It does have a operable window in the shower. The way the plans currently have it is a combo light fan, but that can be changed. Should the fan go directly over the shower and then have a ceiling light over the toilet? This room is only about 40 sq ft.

3. Finally, we have a bathroom in the basement. This is your standard basic bathroom. It is about 5 feet wide by 10 feet long. It has a combined shower tub (probably shower curtain). Again, vent over the shower or just in the center of the room?

We haven't had the electrician or HVAC contractor start, so we would like to make these decisions now. I really want to do everything I can to avoid musty, mildewy bathrooms! Also, any grout you suggest that is resistant to stains and mold? I am thinking epoxy but am worried about large sand with tight grout lines.

Thank you!!!!

Comments (8)