SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaughn_jonathan

Got a potted Meyer Lemon, worried about longevity indoors

andrew pruit
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I just bought a Meyer Lemon tree from a local nursery and I would like to be able to bring it in and raise it in my office if possible. I think it's approaching 3 years old (it had 08/24/12 on the tag around the trunk) and I repotted it after I got it home in a mix of this:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/93334/GROW-FX14047.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=GROW-FX14047&utm_content=Soil&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=COuX2I_arsYCFYEvgQodW7sNsw

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoffman-10708-Bonsai-Soil-Quarts/dp/B00147Z8S2

The potted plants guy at the nursery recommended the top stuff, but I know how much the container growers here like gritty mixes, so I figured I would try to compromise. I planted a dwarf spruce in the hoffman's and it started dying from the bottom up until I put it in the ground, and now it's flourishing, and i know we're talking apples and bowling balls here but it was a very disheartening experience to see it get sicker and sicker so quickly, even with me watering t every day. Maybe I'll switch to something grittier sooner or later (I don't mind re-potting it if need be, though I gotta find someone who sells that 5-1-1 commercially since I'm a little intimidated about putting it together myself), but I want to ease back into it after that experience.

Anyway,I repotted it last night, and now I'm wondering how soon I can take it to the office. I'm in a higher floor on a side of the building with a long wall of huge windows facing directly south (and could possibly get access to some western facing windows too if need be). No other tall buildings around, so we're never in the shade of other trees or buildings. Still, I know outside light is the best light and I'm worried about taking it in too soon after the shock of being re-potted, as well as the underlying fear that maybe I'll be in the process of killing it with improper soil or the wrong watering or something and then think it's the indoor situation (because I'm making so many changes too close together). The tree is so pretty and I'd really like to see it remain healthy and strong if at all possible. The ones around it had leaves beginning to curl and looked sicklier and I would hate to see mine fall apart like my spruce very nearly did. :( I'm not even super worried about it producing a lot of fruit or anything, I just want it to be lush and healthy and bring some joy and nature to my office.

Comments (16)