SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_g76

Best soil for an indoor potted Meyer Lemon tree

alex_g76
7 years ago

I would greatly appreciate advice on the type of soil for an indoor (windowsill) potted Meyer Lemon tree.

In October 2015, I had purchased a three-year-old Meyer Lemon tree from the Four Winds Growers, which came packed in wood shavings and, per their instructions, I repotted it into a 5 gal pot filling it with Miracle-Gro's organic potting soil. The Four Winds Growers later told me that my choice of soil wasn't the best as that particular type of soil tended to be rather dense. To correct that I added perlite, which helped breathe some life into it. In any event, since I purchased the tree, I have wrestled with cupping and falling leaves, gnats, most recently scales. Throughout this whole period my little lemon hasn't looked really leafy and happy (see the photo) albeit it flowered and has even produced two little lemons (the rest have fallen off). All of its misfortunes I attribute to my choice of soil and lack of sufficient sunlight. Nevertheless, I am thinking of buying another Meyer Lemon tree and hope to get some practical advice from more experienced "home gardeners" than I am on the type of commercially available soil I should go to for repotting a newly-arrived lemon. One note: I cannot afford making complex soil cocktails at home since I live in a city apartment.

I thank you in advance for your advice.

Comments (29)