SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theniceguy

1/3 of my peppers fell over! And mysterious black leaf quick rot!

theniceguy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello all

I've gardened bell peppers before in containers, this year is my first 'real' garden. I have about 100 pepper plants I grew from seed, transplanted in, and they grew fabulous. They all are now at the flower/young fruit stage, too soon to pick. Anyway, I went up tonight about something else and about 1/3 had fallen over and weretrying to grow upwards, making a 90° bend. It's been raining heavily and I can't imagine sitting in the mud like that will be good for them.

I used the rest of my sticks to prop some of them up. I supposed I can come back with hundreds of little sticks and make little frames, although that's a bit of a PITA. Is that the right way to handle it at this point? If they can't stand on their own now, I have a hard time imagining loaded with big bell peppers, even with frames!

Here's a picture ( post–propup peppers on left) :

Am I correct in assuming the causes to be: slightly lanky seedlings; decomposing manure; very heavy rain; A bit of wind. ?

I also have some older peppers I purchased, and was shocked to see some sudden black rot destroying the leaves and some fruit. Some of the other plants appear to be showing initial signs of it as well. What can I do?

Comments (5)