SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theniceguy

The Mystery of the pepper seedlings…

theniceguy
6 years ago

Hello all

One of the things that got me into gardening a few years ago was a chance happening with a handful of pepper seeds from a few particularly delicious Bellpepper bought at the store in the winter. Thrown into a paper cup withA bit of extra potting soil, they sprouted after a week, and to make a long story short, I had over 100 plants and a huge (if not labor-intensive) harvest at the end of the year.

What madeit more remarkable ( aside from not knowing what I was doing ) was most people said I probably wouldn’t get anything out of them.

And additional oddity, I had purchased “proper” bell pepper seedlings from the garden center locally in case these didn’t produce anything. These were much larger and in better condition than my seedlings. However, I had nothing but problems with them, and they ended up with some kind of black rot on the leaves. My seed grown seedlings we’re not as hardy as the small bitter green pepper plants that are popular here, but I was able to harvest plenty and they tasted better than the store sweet peppers I had gotten seeds from.

These bell peppers are imported from Korea or Holland (Kyushu occasionally).

This year, I planted a variety of pepper seeds in my incubator in a half hazard manner, so it’s difficult to tell what is what. But I’m certain either the majority or possibly all of the seedlings are the last ones I planted, basically a repeat of this imported bell pepper experience.

So the mystery: Why did the “proper” pepper seedlings performed so poorly?; Are commercially grown bell peppers from copyright plants, which would explain why these seeds perform so much better than the store-bought plants? ; This year I planted seeds from locally grown small green bitter peppers. The taste and texture is inferior to the bell peppers, however they are vigorous producers and more hearty to pest damage. Yet if the seeds sprouted at all, they were much later to sprout with less germination rates. Why is this? I should add, I can buy these better pepper plants at about half the price of sweet Bellpepper plants shortly at the garden center.

Comments (7)