SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Adult children and vacation homes

MtnRdRedux
8 years ago

If you have a vacation home, how do you handle your adult children using the home?

Are they welcome to use it whenever they want? Or do you schedule them , as you would other guests?

My stepson has taken to using our beachhouse very often. He basically lets his father know he is going there, and assumes that he can use it pretty much whenever. Especially, if he knows we will be away, he assumes he can use it then, too.

I am wondering how much of my reaction to this has to do with a stepson situation versus if it were my own child, so I'd like to get a read from others. He and his fiancee take very good care of the house whether we are there or not and cause no trouble at all. While his teenage years were no fun (are they ever?) he is a really nice young man now and we all get along. I am more than happy to have them visit and stay, and often, but I do not really want them there every time we are there, and I also do not want them to feel as though they can use it at their whim. We have a very flexible schedule and I don't always know when I will want to use it, but I assume it will be pristine and empty when I get there. (eg I always have the house cleaned right after we leave).

Am I biased? I tend to think if my own kids were grown and on their own, I would also want boundaries.

Comments (97)