SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maries1120

Exterior Door HELP/ADVICE needed

maries1120
8 years ago

We are replacing our 1966 front door and side light. The current door is a flat panel wood still in decent shape but some draft in the winter at the bottom. It is very plain and there isn't a window. Next to it is a 24" sidelight/window that is the full length of the door. It has some subtle leading in it that you see on the inside but a storm over it on the outside so no one really sees it. This was added by the original owners about 20 years after the house was built. We are only the 2nd owners. The door faces the north in a cold climate. We have a storm door.

The issues - type of door, type of glass (sidelight & maybe door). design ideas???

DH would like fiberglass for the door for energy efficiency and low maintenance. We have an estimate on a Waudena and waiting for the Provia and Homeguard estimates. So far the issues I have is stain colors are limited and our woodwork is more of a (light) mid-tone oak. To me the doors look better the darker stain you go. Some of the mediums look OK. Other fiberglass issue is that there seems to be limitations on sidelight options for our 24" space. The outside will be painted black. We will get a new storm door as well.

Or do we go with wood? Has anyone used torrified wood that has a 20 year warranty against warping etc?

So far for the sidelight it looks like the option is privacy glass with grids or Provia has some Art glass with designs. I am concerned that the painted glass might look too busy and get old after a while. With the price of this and the headache it is giving me, we don't plan to do this again. I am OK with the privacy glass and grids but wandering if any other suggestions. I'm not sure if anything too ornate would fit the house but it isn't Craftsman either and I don't want it to look like a shower door either.

All sales guys have been looking at sidelights for the 24" space rather than windows to keep the stain the same.

We were thinking of a door with a little glass on the top. Could that be leaded with a design if the sidelight is just privacy glass or should they be the same?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Or if there is a better forum to post this under - please let me know. Thanks.

Comment