SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Finally, halfway decent bloom on the Milky Way dogwood!

We planted this tree near the patio probably close to 10 years ago. The number of flowers it produces has gradually been increasing as it has got bigger, but it has been underwhelming :-) This year it is putting on a better show, so I now have more hope for future years... In the picture above, you can see that the patio is too small to be really functional as a patio - it's more of just a landing space when you come down from the back porch, and a place where paths meet - the main backyard garden access is off to the left, and you can see the access to the north alley off to the right. The clothes drying thingy also shows that this is a utilitarian area! :-) There are just too many mosquitoes in the backyard to want to dine out there or sit in the evenings, so the patio just never was useful for that purpose. The small tree in the neighbour's yard is also a C. kousa that blooms before ours. It is a beautiful brilliant white one. The flowers on ours are more of a creamy white. Some years the bloom times overlap a bit. When they do, the flowers on ours look sort of dirty compared to the pristine white ones on hers!

(You guys are probably sick of seeing pictures of my 'green' garden but I can't resist when it makes me smile to see something making a nice show for us!)

Comments (8)