SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145

Bona Traffic over Varathane?

amberm145
8 years ago

I am finishing some stair treads for my new house. I spoke to a finisher who can supply the Bona Traffic Anti-Slip. He told me that is just a top coat, and I'd need something else underneath.

I have almost a full gallon of Varathane for floors, left over from top-coating my cork floors at the old house, so I am considering using that. The guy said it would probably be okay, but it's not guaranteed that the Bona would adhere to the Varathane.

I have the Varathane, and definitely want the Bona. So I will do a test before painting all the treads in Varathane. But that's just going to show me if the Bona goes on and doesn't bubble or peel off immediately. I won't be able to test long term wearability. If it sticks, is that good enough?

Alternatively, I am buying the gallon of Bona anyway, and will easily have enough for 2 coats. So can I just do 2 coats of Bona Traffic anti-slip?

As a side note, is there a reason to look into Bona stains for the colour? Or if I can find a water based stain colour that I like, can I just use that?

Comments (3)