SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michoudabichon

do you still love your bluestar?

michoumonster
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

hi everyone, I am planning a vintage-inspired kitchen and was thinking about getting a painted bluestar. I remember reading a while back about issues with oven doors and igniters, etc.. I also saw a couple of bluestars available on craigslist in my area, which got me a little worried.. So I was wondering if you still love yours? do you think the build quality is good? which model do you recommend RNB or RCS? did you ever have to ask customer service for anything?

I am looking at 36", all gas. we like to do searing, soups and stews, lots of baking, would love to try wok cooking...

thank you!

Comments (62)

• MarieInClt
    8 years ago

Mine took more time for delivery because the French door electric wall oven is a new product for Bluestar and they had delays with production. Good luck with your project! What color are you thinking of?

michoumonster thanked MarieInClt
  • skidd5
    8 years ago

Not to hijack a thread, but I figured you guys were all here already! I had a hopefully silly question about my new RCS--see the three holes at the top of the oven (right below the slide-out drawer)? Are there supposed to be screws or rivets there? We are waiting on our back-guard to get delivered and I figured I should let them know if we're missing something before they come to the house again.

We've only had ours a couple of weeks so I feel like it's too early for a real/useful review, but so far we are having fun with the range.

• Related Discussions

Do you still have any colored Jades? Please show us your Pics:)

Q

Comments (15)
    Norma: That's ok. Bunnygirl: Lol, that is my knee. Yes, I did notice the leaves are growing really tight too. They must love the light, and not the snow of course. Josh: Of course you know I am cheating, right? Come in about a month or two, yours should start doing a heck of lot better in the color department! Look forward to that. Thanks;-) Linda: Hello Linda? Are you getting buried anytime soon again? We had our turn last night! Some places here had Hurricane force winds which peaked at 90 miles per hour with 3 inches of snow falling an hour all night..Oh, what a miserably cold winter so far:-( The colors do certainly pick you us which leads to, Marquest: I am happy that I could do that for you. I hope all is ok. It has been a while since I have seen you around! We will always be here to lift you up with everyone's amazing plants all times of the year. Have you seen Tom's thread about flowers this time of year? Very nice! YW Marquest. Cheers everyone. i hope yours start coloring up soon. If Pug wasn't so busy, I bet she would post a few of her beauties..
    ...See More

How do you clean your Bluestar grill?

Q

Comments (6)
    Deegeegirl You can remove the grates the two stainless steel surrounds the flavor bar and the burner itself. you should only need to remove 1 screw that being the one that holds the burner in place to the back of the range. once the flavor bar and the burner have been removed you can also take out the triangular piece at the base of the grill. you must be very careful not to touch the ignition bar to the left of the Grill. I would use easy off to remove the burnt on grease. Once clean i would recommend lining the grill box with tin foil making sure to over lap the sides so the stainless steel surrounds trap the tin foil. we also line the center of the burner and the triangular bar across the base. Making sure to cut slits both side of the triangular bar at the base to alow grease to run onto the drip pan. Hope that helps
    ...See More

honeychurch and others- do you still love your runnels?

Q

Comments (15)
    Mine are a little different than the norm, but I much MUCH prefer them to the norm (after having used sinks like the ones above which I find have a bit of spill over, and are more of a hassle to clean). My runnels are raised in a sloped drain board area of the counter. I have this in stainless, but am doing the same thing in zinc and marbles (two different marble counters) in the victorian house. I took the design from a 1914 home I toured a few years ago. Even without the marine edge on the stainless this design is way more effective IMO than standard runnels. I love the way it drains every single drop of water, then just takes an easy wipe to clean. By the way, DH set the drain dish on the back edge to show how deep the front edge was when we took the pic...the shadows made it hard to photograph otherwise but normally it fits right in the space.
    ...See More

Do you still have dates with your SO?

Q

Comments (11)
    Our kids are grown and gone, too, and we are home alone together all day, every day. I love every minute of it. We talk all day long. We still have dates, though. I love to cook for just us, and we often light candles and have wine. Heck, six years ago we even went through cancer together, he with colon, me with kidney, at the same time! That was overdoing it, of course, but we did it! I love this life! It has been 43 years and six kids for us.
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

I don't have those 3 holes on my Bluestar V1? Is it a version 1 or the new RCS V2? Looks like a V1? Here's a pic of mine >>> Oh and to reply to the thread; I still absolutely LOVE my BS range. The other 2 open burner ranges I was considering were Capital Culinarian & American Performer. I still really like the CC a lot, would definitely consider it as an option.

michoumonster thanked User
  • skidd5
    8 years ago

Thanks for posting the pic. Mine is the newer model (RSC304BV2). Funny my oven indicator light is on the other side too.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

I have an RNB and it looks like Kfunky's. No holes and oven indicator light on the same side.

• John
    8 years ago

I think that the RCS V2 has adopted the chassis of the RCS sealed burner version (e.g. RCS30SBV2). The sealed burner version has no drip tray but does have a heat deflector that mounts with three screws (see photo). The RCS V2 has a drip tray added but omits the separate heat deflector.

• otterkill
    8 years ago
    Still in love!!
    michoumonster thanked otterkill
  • michoumonster
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hi everyone, I just went to a showroom to see the bluestars again. I noticed the range at the showroom had some knobs that were too far in to read the dials. Salesman told me that the factory had poor tolerances on the knobs and sometimes you get unlucky. Is this the knob issue cookncarpter and catman mentioned? anyone else experience this? easy fix?

• willtv
    8 years ago

I had the same knob problem when I got my Bluestar 5 years ago. I emailed Bluestar and they sent new knobs which are now readable. How old is the floor model you're looking at? I find it hard to beleive that Bluestar wouldn't ship all of their ranges with the new knobs.

michoumonster thanked willtv
  • Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

I don't have any trouble with the knobs.

michoumonster thanked Debbi Branka
  • michoumonster
    Original Author
    8 years ago

willtv, they said the floor model was 1.5 years old.

• willtv
    8 years ago

michoumonster, I don't know how that would happen but, for the good of his business, your dealer should call Bluestar and get the new knobs. Are you looking at the RCS or RNB?

• M
    8 years ago

We have a 30" RNB that we bought a good five years ago (give or take). I absolute love. Works like a charm.

I didn't like the default burner configuration as I occasionally do need to use all four burners at medium to high power. My dealer sold me an extra replacement burner for $100. I installed it myself in place of the simmer burner. Was really easy to do.

When we first got the range, it had the first iteration of redesigned oven door, but apparently that didn't fix all of the problems with the hinges. Called up BS about some other issue at one point and they volunteered to send us a replacement door. Easy to replace by myself.

Our cleaning lady pulled the drip tray out all the way (a couple of times actually!) and then forced it back in. She ultimately managed to damage the tracks. I adjusted them myself, but the tray now operates a little hard. I told her not to do this again, and I don't expect things to get any worse.

A few months ago, the igniter for the main oven cavity died. I was in a rush and didn't want to wait for BS. So, I just got a generic igniter from Amazon overnighted and installed it myself. Took about 10-15min work and the part was around $30. I consider this part of regular expected maintenance.

Other that that, it has worked absolutely flawlessly and makes cooking and baking so much more pleasant than with the crappy Viking that the house used to come with.

A few things on my wish list:

If I had the space, I would definitely go for more than 30". But even as is, I regularly take advantage of the fact that I can fit a fullsize cookie sheet into the oven. So, that's already a huge improvement over most competitors.

Again, if I had the space, I would like asymmetric dual ovens. The large oven is great, but sometimes a smaller oven would be all that I need. And since I use the oven so often, two ovens would really be nice. In other words, I would kill for having the space to fit a 48" range.

I am unsure on whether I would use the grill, but I definitely would use the griddle a lot. Unfortunately, that's not an option for my 30" range.

I can't tell whether I would love or hate the Platinum oven burners. Maybe, I'd pick the new burner for the large oven, and the old-school burner for the small oven. That would probably fit my needs pretty well.

michoumonster thanked M
  • michoumonster
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Willtv, i am leaning towards the RNB because i want to have color. Salesman showed me the Platinum and it is really nice though out of my budget.. The grill/griddle plate is a very smart design. Salesman said the new RNB v2 will have nicer finish on the oven door, so I will wait til they come out to see it. The only downside is the RNB v2.0 only comes as a 6burner configuration , so if i want to get the grill configuration, i would not be able to get the newer oven model.

M, thanks for sharing your experiences. Sounds like you were able to fix everything yourself. that is a great selling point for me! I agree with you about the platinum oven burner-- i am not sure if I care about that feature to pay so much more..

• willtv
    8 years ago

michoumonster, Bluestar's website seems to indicate the RNB v2 can be had with a grill or a griddle but not the grill/griddle combo unit of the Platinum.

Here's a link.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks willtv, the salesman gave me a printout of their dealer specs page and the new v2 with grill wasn't available yet. hopefully will be coming soon since it is on the website.

• carree
    8 years ago

I have the 48 in RNB in mahogany red. Just spent my morning doing a good scrubbing of the innards and the grates. At my request, my housekeeper does not clean it. I tend to baby the igniter areas and even the regular scrubbing of gunk off the grates to avoid potenial rust or broken igniter. But I am still happy with it. Easy Off does a good job of cleaning the oven and grates so I'm not not complaining. Love the oven, broiler, and output. The griddle, less so. It doesn't really put a sear on things the way my cast iron skillet would. I would certainly recommend it.

michoumonster thanked carree
  • chairthrower
    8 years ago

Just an anecdote here. I've had my BlueStar (30" RNB) for over 6 years now and it's mostly been great. I just recently had the front ignitors stop working well, and I ordered replacements from BlueStar. Unfortunately the screw heads broke off when I tried to unscrew the old ignitors. I ended up redrilling the holes and using self-tapping metal screws to put the ignitors on, and they seem to be working fine now. I'm still going to call them and make sure this won't be a problem (I can't see why it would) but it was a little more work than I had intended. The only other caution is that I still need to use high-temperature lube on the oven doors every 6 months or so.

I will admit I'm very interested in the new RNB--the bigger oven window is appealing, and I'm curious exactly what they've redesigned.

michoumonster thanked chairthrower
  • M
    8 years ago

Drilling a new hole shouldn't be a problem. Worst case, if your new screws corrode at some point, you'll just have the same problem (and the same solution) again.

Alternatively, you can sometimes use a screw extractor tool to remove broken screws. But that doesn't always work.

I am surprised you still need to lube the oven door. I reported that issue to BS a good while ago, and they immediately sent me a new door free of charge; and yes, that door had a modified hinge mechanism. Since then, I haven't had any problems with the door.

michoumonster thanked M
  • chairthrower
    8 years ago

I never thought to complain about the door--lubing it regularly isn't a big deal. Probably too late to get a new door after 6 years anyway. And I did try a screw extractor on the broken part--it couldn't grab on what was left.

We've been in our current house for 12 years and I'm realizing all our appliances are on borrowed time at this point (we got a new fridge, dishwasher, and washer/dryer when we moved in; the stove was the only new appliance when we renovated the kitchen in 2009). Hopefully the stove lasts another 10 years without any major problems.

michoumonster thanked chairthrower
  • michoumonster
    Original Author
    8 years ago

chairthrower, from what salesman explained, the big difference in the new RNB and old is a nicer oven door, and they have 25k burners.

• catman_gw
    8 years ago

Chairthrower, I've been putting anti-seize paste on the screws I remove. My BS has plated screws that are corroding. Anti-seize is a paste that you put on the threads. It's finely ground glass suspended in soap. Over time the soap goes away but the glass stays there and stops the metals from fusing as the galvanic corrosion progresses. You can get little tubes of it at auto parts stores.

michoumonster thanked catman_gw
  • cookncarpenter
    8 years ago

I switched out all of my igniter screws to brass after reading about rusted screws. I'd think stainless screws would work as well.

BTW, this was after almost three years of daily use, and none of the original screws were rusted, nor have any igniters gone out yet...

michoumonster thanked cookncarpenter
  • User
    8 years ago

I switched my igniter screws out for stainless to be pro active re: this "potential" problem....

I think they should be delivered this way from the factory!

• User
    8 years ago

I have had the RNB with center charbroiler since 2009. This is the best oven I have had in terms of function - minus the broiler and expensive parts. I lost a stovetop igniter about once every 2 years and the oven igniter once every 3 years. I wouldn't mind this so much except that Bluestar feels this gives them the right to rip you off. An oven ignitor runs like $73 for the part plus $18 shipping. Last time I ordered one it took 10 days to get to my house. For the price of the shipping, it's not "overnight" delivery or anything. It's just a rip all around. So this past week I had to replace the oven ignitor again. I found a suitable replacement on ebay for $23 with FREE shipping. It's about an inch shorter on the ceramic portion, but still clears the wall of the oven by a fair distance. So far it works like a champ. At $23 total, I could replace these once a year and still be better off than buying them from Bluestar. So YES I love the oven and would definitely do it again, however I hate the sub-par broiler and the company.

• M
    8 years ago

Good call on getting the after-market oven igniter. When ours failed, I went online and found a suitable replacement at Amazon. Placed the order and had it the next day. I didn't even bother checking how much BS would have charged, as there clearly was no way they could get it to me in the same time frame. The fact that Amazon was cheaper is an added bonus, too. At that price, I just ordered two and I have a spare for next time when it fails; igniters are consumable items that are expected to fail after a few years.

Also, igniters are pretty standardized these days, and you can usually use generic parts. That's probably what the service technician would have done too.

michoumonster thanked M
  • skidd5
    8 years ago

These tips are great, thanks! I'm hoping it will be a few years before we need a new ignitor, but it's good to know you have options.

Has anybody had an issue with stiff function on knobs? My farthest right-hand burner control has gotten a little sticky, it still works fine but just feels kind of off. I switched the knobs with another burner and it still happened so must be an internal issue. I figured I'd wait a bit and see if it works itself out but I'm still under warranty--just don't want to deal with customer service unless I have to, and I was hoping somebody might have an easy fix.

michoumonster thanked skidd5
  • M
    8 years ago

I have never encountered any stiffness with the knobs, and I don't recall reading about it either. This is a new problem.

If I were you, I'd probably call up BS for warranty service. If I recall correctly, the valves are in integral part of the main manifold. I am not sure you can take them out and replace them. So, if they stick, you might need to replace the entire manifold. That's a bit more surgery than a normal home owner would do, and I'd make sure it is done under warranty.

You could always try lubricating the valve stems, but I don't think that is supposed to be necessary. My completely off-the-cuff guess would be that something got bent and at this point probably needs to be replaced.

If it's any consolation, despite all the horror stories that you read here, I have actually had good luck the small number of times that I needed to call BS. I think it depends a lot on who you talk to. Some of their reps are a lot more helpful than others.

michoumonster thanked M
  • george1498
    8 years ago

Behind the knob, there is a diamond-shaped piece of plastic called a switch (which is what allows the igniters to actually click). A switch that's too tight around the knob is what causes stickiness

To to replace it, you must first request one from Bluestar. They gave me mine for free.

Then you must first pull off all the knobs and unscrew the metal faceplate. You'll have to take the drip tray out completely to do it.

Then pull off the switch on the sticky knob and replace it with the new one and put the faceplate back on, etc. Make sure to connect the wires that run into the switch from the igniter module

i replaced my switch for other reasons but noticed that when I did, the sticky knob situation was rectified

michoumonster thanked george1498
  • george1498
    8 years ago

Here's a picture of the switch. (It's actually square, not diamond shaped).

The hole in the middle is where the stem from the knob goes into. If that hole is manufactured too tightly, you get sticky knobs. I suppose you could just sand down the hole instead of getting a whole new switch just make sure to reconnect the wires back into those prongs sticking out from the bottom, or the igniters won't work

• george1498
    8 years ago

• skidd5
    8 years ago

Wow thanks for all the details. The strange thing about this one is it started out fine, it didn't get stiff feeling until a couple of months in. I've only gone so far as removing the knobs to look at what's up, haven't had much time to explore further. Still works fine so low priority in my life right now.

And while your replacement seems totally do-able, it also sounds like one of those things I'll have BS do while it's under warranty if necessary. One issue here is our only local certified tech went out of business (mid-job on a minor issue with the oven light I had at start-up!) so they had to send someone from way out of town. My plan is to use the heck out the stove for another few months just in case anything else pops up, but have this looked at well before the warranty is up. I'd say my experience with BS customer service has been...okay. It totally wasn't their fault that the repair contractor bailed, but their communication during the process was a little lacking.

I do really love the BlueStar, have been baking/frying/cooking/canning up a storm all summer! It's a solid tank of a stove, it just performs great--I have never had convection before and have found it so useful--great pie crusts, fast roasting of tomatoes, etc. It's been a lot of fun.

• george1498
    8 years ago

Hmmm. Could be some gunk got in there to tighten the space around that hole. Either way, your plan to leave it to the reps while under warranty is good and should take care of it.

• feisty68
    8 years ago

I've loved our 30 in RNB. We have had an issue with slight scorching of adjacent cabinet due to door hinge misalignment. I think we can DIY correct it based on instructions from customer service. We had an issue with a child breaking the oven knob and that was fixed under warranty. Also, the burner knobs got wiggly and customer service sent me new ones after the warranty period. I have been really happy with customer service - easy to get a hold of, good communication. I was able to send them photos of various issues and they responded right away. The kickplate of the range gets extremely hot. If I had a crawling baby I would barricade the area. I did not expect perfection for the price, but my husband can sear a steak :)

michoumonster thanked feisty68
  • M
    8 years ago

The kickplate of the range gets extremely hot. If I had a crawling baby I would barricade the area.

I guess this is not really an "appliance" question, but more of a "parenting" question. Around the time that they started crawling, both our kids learned very quickly that there were things that they are not allowed to touch, because they are dangerous. Usually, they take our word for it, but of course they had to occasionally test the limits and check whether we really mean it.

The older one touched a hot water kettle, and the younger one touched the hot oven door. No injuries or burns, but it certainly helped drive the point home that when the parents say something is dangerous, we are not kidding.

I am actually quite happy they learned this way. And it works, too! They no longer try to touch things that we tell them to be careful with. Kids aren't stupid :-)

• skidd5
    8 years ago

So we're five months into using our BlueStar RCS and heading into my first Thanksgiving with it. Yesterday I did a pre-holidays deep-clean and thought I'd update here. I wipe down the stove after most use (just with a damp cloth and/or brush things down to the trays) and occasionally pull off a burner to clean if I've had a spill or something. About once a month or two I pull the top apart and wash down everything, and yesterday I timed it--15 minutes to clean the entire top in the sink with soap and water, including entire cast-iron top and the slide-out trays. This didn't include time for air drying (and you need room to dry all those bits--I use my empty dishwasher and sink drainer). My burners are not pristine--but they are clean and look nice. I am still debating rotating the burners around to season them more evenly--right now the front-left burner gets used the most and it shows.

Yesterday I also pulled the racks out and did a wipe down of the oven--it's not too dirty yet but I wanted any spills/crumbs out--so no oven cleaner just some baking soda and a wet rag. (I had originally pledged to wipe down the inside oven window after every use, but yeah, that didn't happen). I'm very pleased with how the racks come out including the side support pieces, it's so easy to work inside. The RCS has a smooth interior in the oven, and while it might show dirt more, it's also easier to know when you've got it clean. The bottom panel lifts off with no tools needed, so you can clean around and even take it out to clean a bad spill if needed.

The stove is not without a few quirks--it bangs and pops a bit during oven use (especially cool-down) as the metal expands and contracts. Sometimes I get some vibration noise when using the convection fan--usually I can adjust something and get it to stop. I have two burner knobs that are sticky now, and I'll have a tech come and look at those while it's under warranty, but they are still completely functional. Mostly the BlueStar is just a big awesome tool for me. I like how it looks (I was worried it might be too obnoxious in a regular-sized kitchen) but I have it to cook with, period. It's powerful but subtle for simmering, fun to use, easy to maintain, and I hope to use the heck out of it for many, many years. The RCS model was pretty much my only choice for budget reasons, and I'm happy my timing coincided with the V2 upgrade--the oven door design seems much better, and I like that I have the removable trays under the stove-top.

So, five months in, I love it.

michoumonster thanked skidd5
  • Ping Lady
    8 years ago

Just got the 36" platinum rangetop this month. Absolutely love it!

• Ted Haines
    8 years ago

After a long 3 month kitchen project, our 48" Platinum is in place. Also paired it with a 54" Bluestar Platinum hood. Very pleased with both the function and the customer service at Bluestar. All questions answered by friendly staff and any issues corrected quickly.

• jakkom
    8 years ago

I don't have a BlueStar but recommended one to my nephew back in 2010 based on the GW threads (at that time EuroStoves was still selling them and Trevor Lawson was a goldmine of info). They bought the RCS from a local dealer.

Ended up moving across country a few years later, and now have just returned after being transferred again. Nephew mentioned he is buying another Bluestar for his new home - don't know which model - so I guess he's another BS fan!

• mullde
    8 years ago

Our 48 in. RNB v2 with griddle will be installed the first week of January and shortly after we will be able to move into or new house. I cannot wait to start using the BS! It is very reassuring to read threads on how much people still love their BS range many years after purchasing.

• TDinNC
    8 years ago

Been using our 48 in Platinum for a year now. Very happy. Baking cakes has taken some adjustment since it's been a long time since I've baked with gas, but I would definitely make this choice again.

• Ted Haines
    8 years ago

Anyone having issues with the two cutouts on the Platinum griddle singeing your hand/arm hair. When on anything medium to high with these cutouts, it is a bit much when using a spatula to flip/work the food.

• Aamir Burki
    6 years ago

I'm a year and half in and still love my 36" residential series BlueStar. Great heat on the range, easy to clean, awesome broiler... everything you hear is generally true.

I have one qualm, I hate the oven racks. They are extremely hard to pull in/out without getting caught. There is too much given on the guides and you almost have to use 2 hands to get a rack to slide out. If anyone has any ideas, please hit me with them. I know they sell some racks on rollers (wish I had known up front, would have done that initially), but don't want to drop a couple hundred unless I have to.

In general tho, fantastic product.

• M
    6 years ago

My RNB came with one roller rack and one "static" rack. I find that I rarely need to roll out anyway, but when I do, the roller rack works ok.

Most of the time, I just reach in a grab what I need. Probably depends on what your workflow looks like

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

I have one roller type and two static racks in mine. No issues getting the static racks in and out.

• MarieInClt
    6 years ago

I’ve had our 36” rangetop and electric French door wall oven for 2 1/2 years. I love both, for the most part. The rangetop is an absolute dream to cook on. I have plenty of power when I need it and I really like having a true simmer burner. The open burners are so easy to clean and that is a major plus!!! The wall oven bakes and broils beautifully, is precise, and the racks are easy glide. My only complaint, but it’s a big one, is that I’m disappointed on how loud the oven fan is and how long it takes to turn off.

• Ted Haines
    6 years ago

Anyone having issues with baking things like cookies? We have a 48" Platinum with the replacement PoWR burner. We are seeing things toward the back getting brown. Consistency from top, middle, bottom and front to back is very challenging. Any input, please share. Thanks!

• k8maloney
    3 years ago

Ted-I have this problem as well. I rotate whatever I’m baking halfway through. It’s a pain in the ass especially with baking. Things in the back brown way faster.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    3 years ago

We installed our Bluestar electric french door wall oven during the 2017 remodel. It's been great.

Kitchen · More Info

Single batch of bread:

Pear, egglplant, caramelized onions, and goat cheese pizza

NM cookies