SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charleygirl332

Need Help with Rangehood Purchase

8 years ago

I want to purchase a Vent-a-Hood RangeHood because I can customize it to make it unique for my kitchen. It is 600cfms and has 8 inch ducting. My ducting is 7 inches ( undercabinet and goes straight up through attic to roof). . VAH says that if I install their hood and transition from 8 inch to 7 inch, it will create back pressure in the venting and will cause smoke to come back down into the hood. While my cooktop has a total of 62000 BTUs (It is new as I remodeled my kitchen). I have never used more than 2 burners at a time, so I am wondering if this is really a problem. I could change the ducting to 8 inches but only up to the roof opening. I can't change the roof opening now, as my roof is 25 years old and I don't dare touch it.

Curiously, if I buy a Kobe or Zephyr hood instead, their 600cfm hoods have only 6 inch ducting. So, not being an expert, I am wondering why 7 inch venting would be a problem for 600cfms with VAH.

The other option is to get it and use only one of the blowers instead of both.

My current hood is useless. It is an Imperial pull out hood (320 cfm installed by builder) that comes out to 17 1/2 inches so it doesn't cover the front burners completely and the smoke and steam go right up to the ceiling and into the room.

I hate to give up on the one I want as it is rounded in shape and can have custom trim, but I am not an expert in all this technical stuff. The salesman says it isn't a big deal, but what does he know!

Any expert advice would be appreciated!

Comments (8)