SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doxiedr

La Paz Waterfall Gardens in Costa Rica

mbuckmaster
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So I have been inactive for a while here--my apologies!--but I came back specifically to share an incredible hummingbird experience I just had the good fortune to have. I've been living in San José, Costa Rica for 5 months now for my work, and this past week I ventured out to La Paz Waterfall Gardens near the Poás Volcano. It's situated in a cloud forest, and (although not cheap) is a really incredible place; especially for hummers. They claim to have seen 26 different varieties of hummingbirds in their specially designed garden, and you're pretty much guaranteed to see a dozen or so varieties within minutes. As for the actual number of birds!...well, <insert your favorite exclamation here>!!!

It is INCREDIBLE. There is a veritable swarm of hundreds (and possibly thousands for all you can tell) of hummingbirds of all sizes and colors zooming about right next to you, even brushing up against you. The gardens are planted to attract them in part, but the main attraction are the 8-9 feeders they have hung every day for 15 years now. So several generations of hummers have learned to depend on these feeders for their survival. While this has its own ecological issues that I'll leave aside for now, there's no denying that the reward for us humans is a truly unique experience. You can come within inches of these magnificent creatures, easily have one perch on your finger at a feeder, or feed them with special hand feeders. They have come to expect human contact and interaction, so the up-close-and-personal aspect is so good I have to believe it's unparalleled anywhere in the world.

We spent hours here in utter fascination. My kids (7 and 4) could not get enough of watching the birds zip around and feeding them by hand. As an eastern-U.S.-born guy, I love my ruby-throats...but these birds were colored like a neon light show. Purples and bright greens and blue throats and white banding!...just incredible. I'll post some pics below, and if you're interested in a truly unique hummingbird experience, I'd highly encourage you to consider putting Costa Rica and La Paz Gardens on your bucket list. We will never forget it! http://www.waterfallgardens.com/hummingbirds.php

Three Green-Crowned Brilliants literally "at hand"

My 4-year-old meets a male Violet Sabrewing (the big bullies down here!)

Never thought I could take a pic like this with my iPhone! (Green-Crowned Brilliant again, male)

My wife lifts a female GCB away from her drink for just a moment...very easy to get them to perch this way.

Like hundreds of others, this little Bronze-tailed Plumeteer (I think) is perching nearby to wait its turn.

Comments (9)