SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
supertinyviolet

Hybrid Help! What am I Doing Wrong, and Seed Pod Questions!

supertinyviolet
8 years ago

I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm new to African Violets but I've fallen head over heels for them! I've spent weeks researching them and have watched all the videos I can get my hands on.

I started out with one violet, and about a week later bought another from a local fruits and veggies store. I used the older plant as the paternal one to pollinate the younger plant (older and younger as in when I bought them). I put the pollen on the stigma of two blooms and waited. A month later, one of the blooms shrivels, but the seed pod is microscopic. The other blooms is okay. The seed pod didn't develop much, so I figured it's time to pollinate one more bloom. I use the pollen from the paternal plant to pollinate a bloom on the maternal plant. It looks good.

A week later, the last of the two original blooms starts to shrivel - but again, tiny seed pod.

I see now, about a week and a half later that the newly pollinated flower has a few dead petals. The seed pod is very green, but not swollen. I think it is starting to shrivel but I'm having the same problem yet again!

I've also noticed some of the other plants have huge seed pods (but in odd shapes, and a faded white-green color). I guess they some how became self pollinated?

I water whenever the soil starts to feel dry, I don't fertilize because I don't know if the soil is charged or not (I haven't repotted either plant yet, but I plan on repottting the paternal plant soon because it has lots of suckers growing off of it).

My violets are in my kitchen garden window. Not all the way in the front, but they get a good amount of sunlight. Maybe it's not humid enough? Summers here in Pennsylvania are always unbearably humid though. Granted, we have the AC running in the room next door, but the kitchen doesn't have AC.

What can I do to help increase my success in hybridizing? Is there ANY chance these tiny seed pods will have fertile seeds? Or seeds at all?

This question is unrelated, but I also have cloned three leaves from the paternal plant. I planted them about a month ago, but no signs of plants growing from them yet. The leaves feel a little limp, but look good for the most part. Is there anyway I can tell if they'll be successful?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting