SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddlaz

York AC constantly running, barely keeping the house cool

ddlaz
8 years ago

As with everyone else, summer is here and everyone is just switching their system to AC.

Of course, starting up AC again reminds me that my AC has been struggling to keep the temps down since I bought the house 3 years ago. I don't know the exact model right now but I know it's not a 2 stage unit.

A bit of tablesetting -

1997, 2600 sq ft home, 2 floors above ground, basement has a walkout

Minnesota

York AC and furnace (maybe original? haven't checked dates)

Enviroair(or tech?) electrostatic filter with some kind of foil sandwiched between expanded metal as a prefilter?

As stated, AC is on very often trying to cool the house down. It was 80 F the other day, I set it to 76 F and it was on most of the day.

There's a lot of advise on the net, and I've pieced together this much - measure temperature differential at return register and vent, it should be between 15 and 20.

I took a dew point meter that my technicians use at work and measured the differential. I had 55 F at the vent, and 74 F at the return register in the top floor bedroom. The 19 degree differential doesn't seem bad right?

I tried to get at the evap coil to clean it but the ductwork around the coil was all caulked, and the in/out refrigerant lines were going into the access door/panel. I unscrewed the panel and couldn't get it far enough to fully access the coil. I sprayed would I could but I couldnt get to the underside, which should be the dirtiest section.

Cleaned the outdoor unit fins of lint and fuzz also. No effect.

My research tells me that I may have a leak and am low on refrigerant but I don't have the equipment to test this. I don't want to spend 100 bucks for them to come tell me that it's low and they can't do much because it's R-22. Am I right? I read that even if they find the leak, they can't refill it.

Any thoughts? items to check?

Comments (8)