SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

AC cools for about 15 minutes and slowly loses ability to cool

davidrt28 (zone 7)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a Carrier just-below top of the line system, 25HPA5, installed in 2010, that has generally been a disappointment but I won't go into that. We hardly had much of a spring; I'd say no more than a month ago it was still having to kick on in the morning for heat pump duty, and was working ok...suddenly we got hot a few days ago and I had to put it into cooling mode on a hot afternoon. Almost immediately, it went into 72-thermal cutout. (I have the carrier infinity controller so I can see these messages) So knowing it would probably be impossible to get a tech the Friday before LD weekend anyhow, did a bit of futzing around with it. (I have built and rebuilt audio amplifiers and took an electrical engineering class in college so I'm able to safely work with electricity. There's really no need to lecture me.) The contactor looked bad - burnt on the contacts. Even though it measured 0 ohms when pushed in, hard, I figured the oxidation might be causing resistance so I replaced it. OK, with the new contactor it was able to run for over an hour on Saturday and cool the house down. However, it went into thermal cutout again after that. And that seems to be the pattern...with say 4 to 8 hours of cooling off or pressure equalization, it can run for roughly 2o to 40 minutes. It's able to run longer in the morning. What happens is it cools well for a while...maybe 15 minutes and then slowly the vent air temp rises. Eventually of course, the fact the vent temp is rising is a sign the compressor isn't getting cooled...since the compressor depends on the refrigerant for cooling...and it goes into thermal cutoff.

So here's what I want to know:
filters are fine...static pressure is 0.58
both coils cleaned last summer for a small fortune...look fine now
last summer guy told me the system refrigerant/charge pressure was fine
capacitor tests out as fine but I've ordered another one just in case it has high ESR or some difficult to detect problem

OTHER than the above...am I correct in assuming the two most likely causes of the problem are:
1) low charge in spite of no obvious reason it should be leaking after 6 years. (maybe some miscreant came along and bled some Puron from it?) It's possible for the pressure to be too low without triggering the low pressure switch, right?
2) malfunction of some valve or gas handling component in the system - I've read a reversing valve can sometimes get stuck in a semi-open position

And...I shouldn't need a carrier dealer to fix these right? Any HVAC company should be able to diagnose this? They will just run it for a while and watch the system pressures to see what is going wrong?

Comments (15)