SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

11/25/15: Rose rootstock, recipes, tips to lose weight

strawchicago z5
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The above pic. belongs to Hoovb in CA, who has a fantastic blog "Piece of Eden". http://pieceofeden.blogspot.com/

I took at least a dozen pics. of my Knock-out which had both own-root and Dr. Huey. In 2011, I was afraid to post that to the nit-picking Rose forum, so I deleted them in my Olympus directory. My pics. show a LOWER growth of own-root, and longer stick of Dr. Huey (at least 8 inch.) That's because I never water that rose, so the root had to go deeper.

Carol (Canadian) rose is right about elevating pots on bricks doesn't matter for her roses. Most Canadian roses are grafted on multiflora rootstock, which is a spreading & cluster root .. that can handle wetness well. But Msdorkgirl's roses are grafted on Dr. Huey, same with the roses in local Chicagoland's stores. Dr. Huey likes it very WELL-DRAINED, since it's a long stick that goes very deep, and can't handle much rain, nor wetness. I planted 6 landscape-roses (grafted on Dr. Huey) in a wet bed, and they all lost their Dr. Huey due to the soaking wet bed, and grew their own-roots (shallow).

Got to post this excerpt from Google news today:

YOUR GUT BACTERIA MAY BE CONTROLLING YOUR APPETITE:

"To test its influence over appetite, Serguei Fetissov and his team looked at proteins produced by the common intestinal bacteria Escherichia coli.

The team noticed that about 20 minutes after feeding and multiplying their numbers, E. coli switch from pumping out one set of proteins to another. So Fetissov, of Rouen University, and his team injected tiny doses of those post-meal proteins into rats and mice.

They found that the injected rodents reduced their food intake whether they'd previously been freely fed or kept hungry. Further analysis showed that one protein stimulated the release of a hormone associated with satiety. Another of the chemicals found in the animals' bloodstream appears to increase the firing of brain neurons that diminish appetite, the team reports this week in Cell Metabolism."Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/gut-bacteria-may-be-controlling-your-appetite-180957389/#oljkAae80lBxvrEs.99

Comments (75)