SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadeshill

New kitchen, new ideas?

shadeshill
8 years ago

Hi, we are in the foundation stage of building a house and I would welcome any input and ideas about what we could do with the kitchen. Not interested in moving any walls, but the plumbing can be placed wherever (ranch with basement).

We're a family of 5, with school age kids, we also have 4 medium sized dogs who love hanging around the kitchen when we cook. They're good about not getting under foot, but I think that with the standard aisle width it would get crowded fast. Right now we have 7 feet of floor space between the stove/fridge and sink, and it doesn't bother me even with pasta pots...

Groceries will come in through the door opening to the bottom right.

The morning room will be where our big dining room table will live. The counter space by the pantry is suggested to be a beverage center, with a small under counter fridge, maybe we can also keep the toaster and panini press over there.

* I would like being able to cook at the range/cooktop and look into the great room (to the left). We have something similar to that now but with a peninsula, and I really like it. But realize putting the range on the island comes with its own issues. Having a hood dangling from the vaulted ceiling (might have beams) will not look awesome.

* I am not enamored with the raised edge proposed for the island, I envision a slightly longer island, maybe with a gentle curve on the great room side and a couple of lower stools for home work and snacks.

* I would love a raised dishwasher! Just a little more than a foot would make a difference. I imagine being able to get stuff out of there and into their respective storage spots automagically. Or with child labor.

In my mind's eye I see the island pushed towards the great room to get maybe a 5 foot isle. Put the dishwasher about where the fridge is, sink next to it, drawers for plates and cutlery on the island facing the dishwasher.

No idea where the fridge would live, maybe where the oven(s) are and move those to the powder room wall? The other way around? I imagine it being nice to open the fridge door/s to get things and be able to put them down without running across the kitchen.

Since we didn't stumble over anything like this while house hunting, before deciding to build, is this a crazy plan?

Comments (4)