SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_rosenbluh

Need some magical advice

8 years ago

Hi gardenweb! I need some wisdom and input about our plan, and I have read wonderfully insightful comments here about kitchen planning, so I'm hopeful.

We are adding on to one side of our small symmetrical colonial (about 1600 sf) in order to gain a bigger dining room (can seat about 8 comfortably now, would like to seat up to 12), a full bath, an entry with a mudroom and space for boots/shoes etc, and a functional, up-to-date kitchen. Our architect has proposed the plan shown above. The old kitchen will be removed and turned into additional DR space, additional space for the current cramped powder room and a small pantry. The design shown here keeps the plumbing stack for the toilet in place. The addition will hold the kitchen, breakfast area (room for a 48" round table!), mud room/entry and a new staircase down to the basement.

My biggest concern: Will the kitchen be big enough? Should I cancel moving the washer/dryer to the mud room and leave them in the basement? It would give me more room for the kitchen - I might remove the left-hand leg of the U-shape, put the stove on the same wall as the sink, move the oven cabinet into the space currently for the dryer, expand the island towards the dining room and open the wall between the kitchen and DR (we would have to have a header, and a support column at the edge of the embiggened island). So basically, should I insist on bringing the laundry up, or leave it downstairs and enjoy a bit more room for the kitchen? Also, if I make this change, I will have less room for upper cabs.

Some small errors in the plan - we're planning a single 30" sink on the window wall, and a 36" cooktop.

Opinions?

Comments (37)