SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jellycat_gw

Black Magic and Veterans Honor Bareroot Roses on their way-need advice

jellycat
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello, I have Black Magic and Veteran's Honor bareroot roses coming on Friday and I'd love some planting advice since I am a relatively new to gardening. These are my first bareroot roses. I live in Central Texas, in zone 8b.

- Should I plant the bareroots in the ground right away when I get them or should I pot them up instead? We do get some late freezes here, but usually by mid-March, the freeze risk should be over. Most of the info I've read says to plant them right away so the roots have some time to grow before the heat of summer hits. I've also read that people who've potted them up for a few months seem to have better success when they plant them in ground.

- Also, do I bury the bud union or not? In Paul Zimmerman's helpful video, he says to bury it regardless of where you live because of winds, whereas most other websites say to plant at soil level in warm climates. It does get really windy where I live, so I'm thinking of burying the bud union. How deep should I go? Would it be detrimental at all to bury the bud union? I don't mind if my plant went own root - most of my roses are own root.

- How often do I water these in the winter?

I had to wait so long for Black Magic and Veteran's Honor to finally be available, so I'd love to do things right so they have the best chance of surviving. I'd really appreciate any advice you have to give. Thanks so much!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH