SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monsteraston

Texas Moutain Laurel: a liability if planted in front yard? (toxic)

monsteraston
8 years ago

I'm in Dallas and I would love to plant one of these in my yard but I'm concerned about the seeds being toxic. I don't believe we have any dog walkers who make a habit of letting their pets wander too deeply into yards or garden areas - as such areas often contain items not advised for animal consumption along with chemicals and who knows what else. In general everyone seems to stick to the portion of the yards that are considered public property near the sidewalk. That being said, I could see someone trying to press charges if Fido did get away and decide to sample whatever is on the ground. I have heard horror stories (elsewhere) of neighbors intentionally leaving poison in their yards to deter animals AND people - which is horrible and I would hate it if my neighbors came to think this were my intent. I just think the trees are beautiful and I wonder if I would be taking on any greater risk than most when it comes to having non edible plants in the landscaping. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Comments (8)