SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

How often do you replace a refrigerator?

Lars
8 years ago

I've had mine for six years, a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator/freezer with water and ice dispenser. Before 2009 (when we bought the house we are in now), we had an old fridge with freezer at the top and refrigerator at the bottom that was 15 years old and still going. We kept the old one in the garage for a while until we got a stand-up freezer and another garage refrigerator that does not have freezer compartment. Those were inexpensive but handle the overflow from the kitchen and provide adequate freezer storage.

Yesterday we bought a new refrigerator because the Whirlpool ice maker stopped working, and we were tired of the side-by-side storage - it just wasn't working for us. Our new fridge has French doors at top, a middle drawer for cold cuts/cheese storage, and then a freezer drawer below. It also has water and ice dispenser in one of the French doors, which is a convenience I do not want to be without. It will be delivered on Saturday. I think I will like the French doors at the top a lot, and this is why I thought it was okay to replace the old fridge - plus the new one has a $700 discount sale price until June 16. The sale price is what did it for me - otherwise I would have tried to fix the ice maker.

I am trying to justify replacing a fridge that is only six years old and the only breakdown is the ice maker. I do not have room to store my six year old Whirlpool - will I regret getting rid of it at such a young age? My kitchen is fairly small, and the house is only 1535 square feet, and so space is a concern. I cannot put refrigerator larger than 36" wide in the kitchen that I have, but since there are only two of us, that should be enough.

Comments (21)