SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echobelly

Ouch! 35K for bathroom remodel?

echobelly
8 years ago

Recently bought a house built in 1945, Gulf Coast of FL. House has original master bathroom, all 5x7 ft. of it. Wife says it has to go. Got some recommendations, #1 said they needed to scope the sewer line to make sure there were no problems, so they don't have to dig up a new floor in the future. Sure enough, the camera showed some sand in the cast iron pipe. The plumber said there must be a crack that's letting sand in (that's what we have for soil here) and they need to replace the sewer line with PVC. They would be taking out the whole bathroom floor down to dirt and replacing the line to about 10' beyond the house, where it connects to clay pipe that's in good shape. By doing this, the toilet can be moved, making for a nicer layout in the small room. They designed an amazing bathroom, high end fixtures, but we almost fainted when they told us it would cost 35K. They said the plumbing alone was 20K (that's about what we had budgeted for the whole bathroom reno). We went to contractor #2, who commiserated with us, came up with a design using much cheaper fixtures, at 34K. We're kind of at a stand still here. There are no problems with the plumbing requiring it to be replaced immediately, but the wife says something has to be done soon (that's pretty much her bathroom, I use the guest). What are my options? Are there fixes that can be done to a cracked sewer line, like lining it? We wouldn't be able to move the toilet, but can live with that. It's just that 35K sounds like an awful lot of money, and that sewer line only services that bathroom. There's a separate one on the other side of the house for the other bathrooms and kitchen, which will probably need to be replaced at one point or another. Talking to my neighbors, most of them have had to replace their sewer lines, and their houses aren't quite as old. I've lived in a couple of building from the late 1800's in New England and they had the original sewer lines. Does sand in the line necessarily mean it's cracked? We didn't actually see a crack, but it was more than you'd get from taking a shower after a day at the beach.

Comments (15)