SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Find -A-Grave question

Adella Bedella
8 years ago

I'm thinking about posting my info on
Find-A-Grave. I had made a comment about missing headstones on Alisande's post. I left out an eighth related grave. This person also
does not have a headstone. He was quite a colorful character. He
apparently had a previous wife. Not sure what happened to her or if they
were legally divorced. When this person died, his military pension
apparently went to his previous wife instead of his second wife. This person died
in a shootout after he had been hiding from the law for a number of
years. I have a copy of a newspaper article detailing that event. Family lore
says he was shot in the back. The reason why he went into hiding was
because he was involved in another shooting where he killed a man to protect another man. The man he killed was somehow connected to the local sheriff's office and my relative didn't think he'd get a fair trial.
His ancestor's military pension went to the first wife. I was told his second wife said she had enough money to either pay the taxes or enough money to give him a proper burial. She went with paying the taxes. My ancestor is buried in an unexpected place away from his wife and seven living children in an "unmarked, pauper's grave".

What do I include in the Find-A-Grave information? I have documentation of death date through a death certificate and newspaper article. I have the newspaper article with death details. I also have family lore on the subject. The second wife is my direct ancestor so I have her info. I have the family lore on why this individual is buried where he is and why there is no tombstone. I found out about the military pension and first wife through family lore. I have found on-line evidence of the first wife and at least one child through an on-line family tree, but I have not connected with that branch of the family.

Do I write all of this stuff up and include it? The details are kind of wild and not something you would guess. I'm not sure if it is proper to include it even if a notation is made.

What do you think?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor