SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Find a Grave - for those intereseted in geneaology... or...

jel48
13 years ago

or just walking around cemeteries. And for history buffs.

Is anyone familiar with the Find a Grave website? I tried to post a link below, but GW didn't like it. Said the format was invalid, so here is the link, you'll have to cut and paste:

http://www.findagrave.com/

This site came up as a topic of conversation on the GW Kitchen Table forum and I think I'm hooked on a new hobby, at least for a while.

You can do all sorts of searching, without having to sign up as a member, but I took the big step and did so. Once you're signed up (unless you change your account settings) you will receive requests for grave photographs for cemetaries near you. Wow, did I open the floodgates! Seems like a lot of people have just been waiting for someone from the Keweenaw peninsula to take pictures for their geneaology projects. I've got somewhere around 15 requests!

I've always liked walking around cemeteries, and looking at the stones. They give me a very peaceful feeling. We'd been visiting some of the very old cemeteries in this area anyway, and taking photographs. This project will give us a reason to do so. And unlike EVERY OTHER HOBBY we enjoy, this one will COST US NO MONEY!

We visited the cemetery at Eagle River, MI yesterday. It has been there since 1843 and is still in use today, so is a very interesting mixture. The number of babies and small children in older cemeteries is always sad. People lost baby after baby back in the early to mid-1800s (and I'm sure before). They didn't have the care and medications that we have today. Think of how heartbreaking that had to be. But, in this area of huge copper mines, back at that time people lost young adult children too. We saw so many gravestones for 18, 19, and20 year old men (and a little older) who had died in mine accidents. Not speculation, it said so right there on the stones. So sad.

This was not an area where many lived to a ripe old age in those days. Most were in their 20s, 30s, a few in their 40s. It was very unusual to find a stone for someone over 50.

You can also submit names, and you have the option of creating a memorial page. I created one for my sister, Phyllis, who passed away last year (about the same time as Papou). I tried to put the link below, but again, it was rejected. You can find Phyllis' memorial at

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Richards&GSfn=phyllis&GSbyrel=in&GSdy=2009&GSdyrel=in&GSst=31&GScnty=1814&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=58673752&df=all&;

or by searching for US, Nebraska, Burt County, Phyllis Richards.

I want to create memorials for my parents too, but will have to wait until I come across the copies of their obituaries.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH