SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fragglerocks

Has anyone used IKEA Karlby model countertops? What's your experience?

Justin A
8 years ago

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Karlby line of countertop from IKEA. It's not a solid slab of oak blocks like the Hammarp model but instead it has a 9/64" layer of solid walnut over a slab of particle board.

Has anyone used this model of countertop or something similar to it? I'm concerned about the following:

-Ability to stand up to water. I'm going to use it in my kitchen as the countertop it will be butted up against a DOMSJÖ Double bowl sink on both sides.

- Durability with respect to the 9/64" layer of solid walnut. Will it wear out quick and can I get 5-10 years out of it with some occasional light sanding to remove stains or scratches?

- Sealing exposed particleboard edges for moisture. I was planing cutting the pieces at a 45 degree angle where they meet in a corner. I worry this would not be possible as I would expose the particle board and if not sealed correctly they would warp if they absorbed some liquid over time.

Anyways, I don't want to return them right away as the nearest store is 200km away from my home and the Hammarp is never in stock. So, I've got some time to think about using them instead of returning them.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10301149/

Comments (12)