SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_864953

Hello from newbie gardener in Montreal and some questions

Hi,

I am 10 days away from taking possession of my first real garden. It poses some challenges: A big maple tree (I think silver, but might be-gasp Norwegian- I'll confirm once I can sample a seed), rocky foundation and shallow soil. There are established beds, but the previous owner put pallets on them and grew everything in containers; curious, and suggests either crappy soil, invasive maple, or lack of determination. I've been researching, and devouring everything on these boards, and pinning potential plants for growing (if anyone wants to comment, here is my fantasy shade garden: https://www.pinterest.com/ClarkSuperNova/my-shady-backyard/

But I am also looking for edibles. I was bummed about the lack of sun (I get some morning sun, and then mostly shade in the afternoon), so I know my dream of fresh tomatoes are out. I will try kale, mache, a couple of lettuces, maybe some peas. A range of herbs. Any chance of managing berries to fruit? Lingonberries? Blackberries? Watermelon? (just kidding)

I had some experience with balcony gardening, but on the opposite challenge spectrum: It was a south facing garden with scorching sun. I grew tomatoes, poppies, wild flower mixes from random seed suppliers, and nigella beautifully. And lots of herbs.

Also, I am somewhat new to Montreal. I was directed to Jardin Jasmin by a friend, but do you know any resources that are accessible by public transport other than the public markets? Especially for rare perennials and bulbs?

Thanks

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath