SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Some questions from a container newbie

caterwallin
12 years ago

I am new to container gardening and found this forum and wanted to ask some questions. I am wondering how big a pot has to be if I'd want to keep a tree in it indefinitely. I raise butterflies and release them and have a hackberry tree that some of them lay their eggs on. To be able to have them handy, I'd like to keep the tree in a pot right outside the back door if that's possible. Also, does it matter what kind of soil mixture I put in it? Right now the tree is only a few feet tall, like two or three feet. How do you know when to put a plant into a bigger pot?

I also want to keep some other plants in pots, one being an Amorpha fruticosa because I don't want it spreading if planted in the ground. It's also for the butterflies to lay eggs on. Right now it's in a 3-gallon pot (I think). Would that be sufficient? It doesn't get as big as a tree; I think they get about 15-20 feet tall. Should I put it in a bigger pot? Right now it's only 3 feet tall.

I also have a Crepe Myrtle in a pot that I'm still undecided if I should plant it outside or keep it in the pot. Can they be kept in a pot? I don't have room to bring it or the other plants in the house during the winter and was wondering if they'd be okay outside. Since this is a blooming plant (although I haven't seen it bloom yet), can I assume that I should trim it right after it blooms?

TIA for answering my questions and sorry if they might have been asked a million times before. It's hard to find things on searches on here IMO.

Cathy

Comments (6)